weird idle problem

joelh

My car has has 40 miles put on it in 3 years and I finally got it registered. I put in a new fuel filter, thermostat housing, and thermostat, oil change. Yesterday I got it out and put about 50 miles on it with no problems. Today I took it out and put another 20 miles on and for some reason it started to put and jerk hard. I pulled over thinking it was possibly a fuel pump. Gave the gas tank a couple hits and then shook the car a little bit. Drove it away no problems. Got it home and it cooled. Took off again. It started fine then it did it again once I drove it for a minute. This time I just sat there for a minute and it fired right up and then it drove fine. Then I let it cool and I took it out again. Once it warmed up it did it again. This time I left it running and it fixed itself. What could be the problem?

40 Miles in 3 Year problem

Could you post the year and drivetrane of your SC?
Do you get a CEL when this problem occurs?

its a 90 anniversary m5r2 by the way.

I'm going to recommend some plugwires, and double plat motorcrafts, and clean out the throttle body with some cleaner.

JustinH said:
its a 90 anniversary m5r2 by the way.

I'm going to recommend some plugwires, and double plat motorcrafts, and clean out the throttle body with some cleaner.
Be careful cleaning the TB with carb cleaner.... you can ruin your IAC that way.

i got it out today and it had a tough time starting. I drove it for a couple minutes. Then shut it off and it had a hard time starting again. It seems like possibly a fuel pump because it'll start when I crank it and give it some gas like starting a carburated system.

Giving It Gas To Start.

I had to push the gas on my sc to get it to start also. Mine ended up having bad headgskets for sure, for one. It could have been lack of compression in my motor causing a tough start because the gaskets were blown out pretty good. I havent gotten mine back together yet but im just going to replace the fuel pump while its down and out and everything else too, why not. Good luck, and check your oil after it has run for a few minutes, I had a pretty massive coolant leak into a couple cylinders. Once the car got hot, here came the hot coolant straight through!

Not trying to make the situation worse then what it probably is! I had probably a 100 different things wrong with my sc when I bought it. haha

Last edited:
i don't think it can be hg's because the level is right on with no coolant in it and the coolant doesn't appear to have oil in it either.

you guys were right again. I put some more gas in it and took it for a ride and my problem seems to have fixed itself
thanks

Back