lower control arms

nickleman60

is there any difference between the control arms of a sc and lx?i would think not but i went to advance auto parts to buy 2 new lca's and they have different part #'s for sc's and lx's. the sc ones were no longer available so that's why i ask?

your right about the bushing being stiffer,i did a search and fast ed said the inner bushing that connects to the frame is 85% stiffer.since i don't want to mess with getting all new stuff pressed in i think i'm going to go with the moog replacement lca with the balljoint as a unit.

nickleman60 said:
is there any difference between the control arms of a sc and lx?i would think not but i went to advance auto parts to buy 2 new lca's and they have different part #'s for sc's and lx's. the sc ones were no longer available so that's why i ask?

I just bought some upper control arms for my SC from Advance in May and I think the LX had the same part number. The lower control arms must be different for LX to SC.

well i can't find any of the sc lca's so the lx ones will have to do.i don't plan on hitting any road courses and i doubt it'll hurt the performance in a straight line......lol

The inner pivot mount bushing was about 70% stiffer on the SC lower arms. That was even mentioned in the sales brochure that I have for my 95.

TRW was the original vendor to Ford on these arms, AFAIK they are the only replacements with the correct inner bushings now, other than the now discontinued OEM Ford arms.

Upper arms are the same for LX and SC.

cheers
Ed N.

Rock Auto

ROCK AUTO says the following:
1990-1995 Ford thunderbird LX MOOG part number for a lower control arm with a bushing p/n:K80053 for the left and K80055 for the right.

1990-1995 Ford thunderbird SC MOOG part number for a lower control arm with a bushing p/n:K80053 for the left and K80055 for the right.

rickbtbird said:
ROCK AUTO says the following:
1990-1995 Ford thunderbird LX MOOG part number for a lower control arm with a bushing p/n:K80053 for the left and K80055 for the right.

1990-1995 Ford thunderbird SC MOOG part number for a lower control arm with a bushing p/n:K80053 for the left and K80055 for the right.

According to what Duffy had in his thread, Moog has the same control arm listed for the SC and N/A and they aren't the same. Better go with TRW if you buy anything.

Ford Parts Dot Com says that there's two different ones. There's a lower control arm/lower balljoint and lower control arm with/without super charger but, it doesn't give any part numbers. :eek:

Ford is confusing so I looking at my Haynes and it also list two different lower control arms. How does one which part to order?

i found a trw 10772 lca at murrays discount auto parts and snagged it.they were out of the 10771.i've been searching online for awhile but haven't found a 10771,does anyone know where i can get one?

Last edited:
I got the TRW 10771's & 10772's from Advance auto's online site Partsamerica. I also got the TRW LCA's for the LX at the same time. I laid the two different arms next to each other to check. Visually there is no difference between the SC and LX arms. It's been said (repeatedly) that the inner bushing is stiffer on the SC arm. That may very well be the case, but I put the LX arms on my 94SC and the SC arms on my 95SC and I can't tell any difference in the way they drive. Maybe someone with more driving skill than myself could tell the difference, but for my purposes, the LX and SC arms are the same.

My experience...

I have LX lowers in my SC now.
I don't like them at all....Does not drive the same, even with poly strutrod bushings. The market for 'SC' stiffness lowers was not big enough for them to make available, so they just grandfathered the part #'s.
Going to replace the bushings in the stock lowers with poly ones, and also have new balljoints pressed in, and put those back on my car.
The LX lowers are only good for making the car drivable while I get the stocks back together IMO. Well I did find out I also needed tierod ends....:rolleyes:

paul

rickbtbird said:
Ford Parts Dot Com says that there's two different ones. There's a lower control arm/lower balljoint and lower control arm with/without super charger but, it doesn't give any part numbers. :eek:

Ford is confusing so I looking at my Haynes and it also list two different lower control arms. How does one which part to order?

The Advance site also has them listed with sc and without.

something else i notice is that the sc arms are beefier than the lx arms.so it's more than just a stiffer bushing,it's also a bigger arm.

89 had the beef e er lower arms

nickleman60 said:
something else i notice is that the sc arms are beefier than the lx arms.so it's more than just a stiffer bushing,it's also a bigger arm.

That's only for the 89SC's, the rest were the slimmer design...
You can have multiple part #'s for the same part, alot of parts for the mn12 are like that...

yeah the arms i was referring to were off an 89sc, later on i looked at the arms on my 94sc and you're right they are smaller, i wonder why they did that?

Back