t-stat

sendo

whats up, when the car is cold and i sqeeze the top rad hose there is a ticking sound coming from the t-stat, is that normal?
just rented a presure checker and found out that the rad cap is bad, i hope that is the reason my temp gauge hit the red the other day
thanks, Sendo

well did you ever get any of the stuff checked out the guys in the forum said you should?

Second, did you continue to drive the car after it hit red, and if so, how far?
If you drove it more than a block or two after it hit red, your headgaskets are more than likely now definitely f*cked.

A mechanic will buttrape you on pricing for headgaskets, especially for doing them on an SC, and will probably put ~~~~ back together wrong.

Put your hand at the exhaust tip and feel if your hand gets wet or damp. Another good way to know if your headgaskets are f*cked is if the car keeps spitting coolant out of the overflow tank. Those are real good indicators.
I assume the car still starts and runs, so your heads are not completely warped to ~~~~ yet, so that much is good.

That's it for my speech about overheating that I give everyone who describes what you just did at AZ. It typically is pretty true and has been true in all three cases in which I've lost headgaskets. The second any of my cars go even just the teeniest bit over the middle I kick on the heater full blast and stop to check the coolant level immediately to get an idea of what's going on and whether or not it's safe to keep driving. After blowing up three of my favorite cars, I've found it's much better to be safe than sorry. It doesnt matter where it means leaving your car, if it starts overheating, SHUT IT DOWN IMMEDIATELY.

Oh, and don't bother with those block sealers. They are hard to use and generally cause more problems than they solve. I havent tried the headgasket fix stuff yet, but if I lose another headgasket I may just try it. On an SC, though, it is an especially bad idea and will not work since it has to withstand higher pressures than a non-boosted engine.

So far as the coolant and oil thing goes, it's not uncommon for the coolant to sit there as its own little bubble in the oil. I work at Autozone and get people recycling motor oil that has bubbles of coolant in it all the time. I have to stop whenever chunks of green come out of the container, give it back to the customer and tell them to take it somewhere else. It doesn't seem to typically turn to milkshake, the oil will get somewhat discolored and be lighter than it's supposed to be. A healthy motor generally will yield PURE, black oil. The other day a guy tried to give me oil that honestly resembled some sort of horrible curdled milkshake rather than motor oil, I mean, there were like, chunks of goo in it. It was rotten, and smelled awful. It was disgusting, I mean, really disgusting. It still makes me queasy to think about it.

Anyhow, yeah, check if you're getting steam out of your tailpipes and watch to see if you're shooting coolant out of the reservoir tank.

If your motor is shot and you want to part it out, give me a pm.

That's all.
Ghost.

Last edited:
Back