5spd need a different ECU from AOD?

NickM

Well, my 89 lost 3rd and 4th, along with spinning a rod bearing (same time!), so my options are open. Wondering what the approximate cost to convert versus rebuild of the AOD (yes, I did see the conversion from the '90 advertised), and also curious if the ECU would have a prob with a 5spd.

Thanks, Nick

AOD and M5R2 would have slightly different fuel and timing strategies, but probably not enough to cause major running issues. To make it work 100%, you should use the correct EEC computer.

cheers
Ed N.

89-93 eec work for both auto and 5-speed There is a plug usually behind the raido that you plug inot the 5-speed trans. Only the 94-95 had a different eec.

1owner89 said:
89-93 eec work for both auto and 5-speed There is a plug usually behind the raido that you plug inot the 5-speed trans. Only the 94-95 had a different eec.

The setup for the EEC in a 5spd on the older models in fact did have several differences, such as settings idle speeds. There is 2 entries, one for neutral and one for an auto in gear. On a 5spd these where set equal AND the idle down control in the EEC was set differently for the 5spd..... and thats just for starters. Also the cam's where different in '89 (the 5spd being more aggressive) so there was some differences in the tuning as well)

The only major issue I've heard of is idle issues for some folks doing the conversion. I was going to do the conversion myself, and I may still do it, and I have a feeling I'll end up with a chip when its all said and done, just to clean up those little differences. I do have the '90 5spd EEC, but since mine is an '90 auto, I have no EGR, so the 5spd EEC would start reporting EGR failures.

Frit

Thanks for all the replies-especially the last one-most informative. Would most of you see a bad AOD as an opportunity, or should I just fix (and upgrade) what I have?

Nick

Back