Balancer bolt broke, easy-out broke, any ideas?

Blue89SC

I bought a 94 sc w/ the balancer broken. The bolt and the balancer shaft were both broke. I got the shaft off but Im having a extremely tough time getting the bolt out. I drilled the bolt and used an easy-out... well the easy out also broke and is now stuck just far enough in where i cant get any type of pliers on it. It is also close to impossible to drill a hole in the easyout... Anyone have any ideas???

Can i use a torch to heat up the bolt or the easy-out or would that hurt the crank??

crank's prolly hurt already.....
how much you pay for that car?
I can't think of a single thing you could do with that crank still in the motor.
Maybe a vet here has an idea?
Hope it works out for you!

paul

Only thing that I can think of to remove the easyout it to try and break it up somehow, or get a chisel and try to knock it out the way it went in.

With the cap off the bolt, most of the tension is gone, so it should have come out pretty easy.

You can try to get a dremel with a carbide grinding bit and grind around the easy out to remove it. Then get some left twist drill bits and re-drill for a different easy out.

If you can not dig it out, I would try drillinng it out with a carbide drill. Take it slow and steady and it will drill it out.

Mike

Mike8675309 said:
With the cap off the bolt, most of the tension is gone, so it should have come out pretty easy.
This is where my concern would be.... WHY is it so difficult to remove? WHAT is holding it in? There SHOULDN'T be any tension on it with the head of the bolt gone.

XR7inWI said:
This is where my concern would be.... WHY is it so difficult to remove? WHAT is holding it in? There SHOULDN'T be any tension on it with the head of the bolt gone.

Ya, sounds like loctite or something of that nature holding it in which means heat which means removal but try wgat mike said....
:( sorry to hear it man.....

Been here a time or TWO myself :eek: . My first go around a cold chisel was the way to go. Actually used a punch first and hit the broken bolt a few solid times and then knocked it loose with the cold chisel. I beleive needle nose pilers were also used to twist it out since it had no head and just a remaining bur to grab on to.

As for whats holding you up...its Ford and there over usage of loctite. They're notorious for that.

Good luck...and I totally feel your pain.

-Tim

try a reverse twist drillbit

the drill will run forward :confused: but the twist is backwards:) if it grabs should spin it right out :p need to see the easy out:mad: I used a mirror to look in :rolleyes: I worked on it for 3 months as it was cold dec-feb :mad: after work a few minitnes at a time:rolleyes: once a week:eek: soaked with rust cutter :D also made a gasket to cover timing case so chips wouldn,t go in the space as well as keeping gasket clean ;) i,m sure you can get it done sooner :) work on it then let it go for while :p don,t get mad it may take some time:eek:

A reverse twist drill bits require a reversing drill as the drill must go backwards, but the bits are built so they cut in reverse. Something a normal bit won't do.

you can do it with an easy out kit, i did, i had the same thing happen, balancer broke flush with the crank. i had to remove the harmonic circle piece and the bolt, but me and my bro got it out. there wont be to much tension, the head is what holds the tension.

When I broke an easyout on my intake manifold, I welded a piece of aluminum shaped like a hockey stick to the easy out and then just turned it out. Not sure if you can do that on the crank or not though????

well in case anyone runs into this problem in the future, or if this particular one hasn't been solved yet, here is a method i have seen used. You drill two off center holes and insert one tip from a needle nose in each hole, then you can twist it. You can't get super torque out of it or anything, but it should work to get out a bolt that is just lightly stuck.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
When I broke an easyout on my intake manifold, I welded a piece of aluminum shaped like a hockey stick to the easy out and then just turned it out. Not sure if you can do that on the crank or not though????

You welded a piece of aluminum to an easy out????? :confused:
Please explain how you managed THAT trick.

You welded a piece of aluminum to an easy out????? :confused:
Please explain how you managed THAT trick.

No tricks here...scrap piece of metal in my shop welded it on to the broken bolt/easy out and turned the bolt out. That's it..no trick photography ;) If there wasn't any bolt left I don't know if it the weld would have held but it didn't need much to get it out.

No tricks here...scrap piece of metal in my shop welded it on to the broken bolt/easy out and turned the bolt out. That's it..no trick photography ;) If there wasn't any bolt left I don't know if it the weld would have held but it didn't need much to get it out.
Actually, what I was getting at was that you said you welded a piece of ALUMINUM to the easy out. The easy out and bolt are made of ferrous metal and the aluminum is NON-ferrous metal. They are very dissimilar metals that cannot be welded together. ;)

Back