Piston Ring end gap, help

gotboostsc

SCCoA Member
Im currently rebuilding my engine in my SC and im at the point where i am checking the piston ring end gap.... i purchased sealed power piston rings with the upper chromoly and the bottom steel.. My question is the spec end gap is .0110-.0120 on the upper one and the lower is .0090-.020.. ON my engine the bottom one is within spec but the upper one is around 20 thousands not .0110... Does anyone know if there is any difference with the upper being chromoly or anything like that or what do I do from here... I dont really want to bore it and buy new pistons and that whole deal..It just strikes me funny because the cross hatch was still in the cylinder and there was no ridge whatsoever when i took the pistons out.

This may be a stupid question.....but are the rings a file fit design? Piston ring filers are pretty cheap, just besure to follow the directions or they'll cut wrong.

No they are not file fit, I thought about getting file fit but according to where I get most of my parts they are not available for the car.. I had initially thought about doing that, although they are a pain but supposedly you can not get them for the SC..

Back