Electrical problems?

Seuss

On the way to work today, my engine died 3 times. Each time, the gauges returned to their off positions and the radio turned off. A couple of seconds later, the engine would fire back up, everything would come back on like nothing was wrong (I didn't have to turn the switch off and back on again, it would just fire back up on its own). I replaced the ignition switch a couple of years ago, due to similar problems.

Could it be another bad ignition switch, or anything else I should check? (cam sensor, crank sensor, DIS)?

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest an order for troubleshooting? I can't afford to take it to a garage, so hoping I can fix it myself.

Engine grounds, etc.

Crankshaft sensor, if the engine loses that signal then it will die.

Also, did the car die after you hit a bump, etc?

I had a slight problem where a major bump would knock off the engine but no longer happens, I tigthened the engine grounds.

double check the ignition switch to make sure its not separating, very easy to do. i had an 89 cougar that i replaced 2 ignition switches in 3 years cuz they kept separating and causing all sorts of problems like the ones you describe. i doubt its the crank sensor or DIS as i dont see how they could cause the radio to turn off since the radio is hot with the key in "run". but a bad ground will also cause all sorts of havoc.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the ignition switch, since I replaced that a couple of years ago (mine had separated and it did cause a lot of weird problems). From what I understand, the aftermarket replacement doesn't have the problems the OEM switches had. I guess it's possible the new one went bad too though :)

If everything shuts off like that, then I would say it was the ignition switch. Just because something is new doesn't mean it ain't broke. There's many reasons out there including Murphy's law that will break something, and frankly the ignition switch is a nice cheap alternative than something like ripping out your entire dash to track down an electrical problem.

Frit

Update: Looks like it might be the ignition switch as many suggested. I had no further problems since my last post on this until this morning. I cranked the car and it died immediately. I retried several times with the same result. I noticed if I held the switch forward just a bit from the point it normally comes to rest, the car would continue to run. Once I released the key to go back to the normal run position, the car would immediately die again.

Off to the parts store for another, I suppose....should I stick with aftermarket again, or try to get one from Ford?

Save your money, disconnect your battery, clean the contacts and copper wiper and put some wire tie around it.

Seuss said:
Off to the parts store for another, I suppose....should I stick with aftermarket again, or try to get one from Ford?
Go with a quality parts store, not Autozoner or Advanced. Try Napa or some non BIG chain store.
This appears to be a cronic problem with most Ford switches. Have replace several on assorted Ford cars over the years. One from Ford won't necessarly be a better choice.
Good luck.

Thanks for the great advice as usual, all. Switch replaced, another SC back on the road again (for now) :)

Back