what to know why?

newbird

:confused: Hi,everybody....just found out some strange things yesterday:
1. after drove for 150km on highway and parked at my driveway, later, we found out some water drop down from bottom of the car, i checked it, it seems from some parts of exhaust system...93 lx....yes, it was water, not any other like coolant, oil...and,yes, i had AC running all the time....just don't know how can it happen and what's wrong with the bird?
2.the coolant temperature normally stay at the middle of the gauge,with i turn on the AC...i found out it turn 5 degree more than usual--means will be higher than without AC? IS that right?
3.the oil temperature gauge seems gone--it always stay in the middle of gauge,never move,even parked outside for all night? can it be easy to fix?

just got the bird for 2 weeks...have lots of questions,thanks everybody here for any great ideas!!!

?????

#1. Where do yo have a Oil Temp Gauge located? Or do you mean the oil pressure gauge. It this is the case then it is an idea gauge and shows good oil pressure if it above 5psi I think and only drops if the oil pressure goes below this.

#2. How can you tell what 5 degrees is on the coolant temp gauge unless it is aftermarket? Some times my coolant gauge actually shows a little cooler when I have the A/C on (not for very long) because it automatically turns on the low speed fan for the radiator and it helps cool the car.

#3 Water dripping from underneath the car is normal if is coming from near the floor pan/ exhaust. It may even drip on the exhaust depending on your speed, wind direction, turning the vehicle, stopping or starting off....etc If is only water and it is fairly cold you shouldn't have any issues. This is just water dripping from the condensation on the evaporator.

Hope this helps a little.

Smitty

The water could possibly be condensation from AC equipment, this happens on all cars equipped with AC.

You oil gauge not working could be,

A. You don’t have any oil pressure in the car, this is very bad but probably not what’s going on, if so replace oil pump

B. Gremlins (Very Likely!!) They’re out and about this time of year.

C. Your sensor could be shot

D. Your oil gauge could be shot

E. Your connector on the sensor could be rotted and falling off

1. Seems normal to me. Whenever I've ran the AC on a vehicle, I've found a lil bit of water underneath the vehicle.

2. Not sure about this one. Are you saying it runs warmer with the AC? or with the AC off?

3. The oil gauge is just a switch - it doesn't work like a real gauge. Also, I believe it's an oil pressure gauge. Not sure what it takes for pressure, but the stock gauge won't move unless it reads a very low amount or high amount.

Hope this helps

-Melon

oh..thanks eveybody here for such quick responding..

ok,here is what i get from all of us..
1.the water may relay to the ac...seems not a problem..
2.the gauge is for oil pressure..not temperature..see, just learned...it is ok...
3.y, when i have ac on,the coolant seems will be higher temperatrue, the 5 degree i means the gauge trun to high temp side more than without ac on...roughly....

the bird is very comfortable,better than my taurus...it is 93, and not airbag inside, and i am not very sure that the driver seatbelt is work or not--as i pull it very very quick, it not stop like my taurus...thinking about the replace it, the pessenger side is ok..........
anyway,here is a fatasitic place,thank you,guys,let's enjoy out big bird...

1,2 you are correct, the water is normal, and the oil gauge is for pressure, not temperature.

**Always remember that the oil pressure gague works like a switch. If the oil pressure is less than 5 pounds, it will read low. If the pressure is above five pounds gauge will read somewhere in the middle.

**Also remember not to trust the stock temperature gauge too much. Every car is a little different. The middle of the gauge on one car could be around 80*C. On another car the middle of the gauge could be around 90*C.

If you really need to know the temperature you should buy an aftermarket gauge with more precise measurements.

It is normal for the temperature to go up when the AC is on. This is because the car needs to work harder to run the AC. Also, the car is removing heat from inside the car, and putting it in your engine bay through the condenser.

thank you 91supacoop

one more question,

that day on highway i was doing 120-140, i also found out the plastic cover on the tranny is warmup, actually,it is much more than other days i am driving to work at 80-100km, i feel hot there...just wandering, how hot can the tranny fuild can stand there? how to know the temp inside the tranny? does tranny cooler help? i am think about tow with bird--said on the mannul,it is ok for 2000lbs,good enough for me to take some material home from homedepot something like that...y, i am also looking for the hitch,anyidea to get one with great deal? i don't mind used one,thx.

Back