power pulleys...almost touch

spetz01

can you guys look and see if this is right..

follow the link and one of the bottom pics show how close the belts come with a power pulley on the water pump and a steel idler. Is this normal? There's like 1/8" of space.

OK well mines a problem now. I already lost the first segment off the belt..and she keeps trying to walk off the alternator. I'm trying to set up some video hosting and you can see.

That is exactly how close my belt rides. If your belt is trying to walk off the alternator, I suspect you have an alignment issue. I don't know if you fall in to category, but if you have early production March pulleys, that could be your problem. BTW, although I think you have a 90, the 94-95 SC's require a washer behind the alternator pulley.

spetz01 said:
can you guys look and see if this is right..

follow the link and one of the bottom pics show how close the belts come with a power pulley on the water pump and a steel idler. Is this normal? There's like 1/8" of space.
Totally normal after I did the ASP Pully set, Mines about the same. I questioned it and a dozen people said the same.

Last edited:
so what's out of alignment I guess? The alternator has the stock pulley as I couldn't get the original off to put on the March.

the water pump pulley said not to use the spacer so i didn't. I guess shim the alternator?

what was the problem with the earlier march pullies?

Last edited:
To take off the pulley on the alternator a impact works great. Having the factory pulley on the alternator is probably more of a reason that your belt is closer than most people. Try the washer on the water pump to see if it improves at all.

I am not sure what the deal with the early March pulley sets were. I have a ASP set on mine.

Back