Quietest muffler?

Blk89TBSC

What's the quietest muffler out there? I'm going with Kooks LT's with a 3" OR X and a 3" exhaust and i need a quiet muffler. I don't want a buzzy exhaust.

Borla 40665 mufflers for the rear. A similar unit for a resonator, or a long magnaflow muffler for the resonator location.

Quietest Resonator?

Is the Borla resonator quieter than the Magnaflow?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
lower cost alternative

I listened to sound bites and compared flow stats and went with Hooker mufflers instead of Borlas. The sound and flow are similar. I'm running ported stock headers w/high flow cats, x-pipe, and 2.5" true duals, no resonator. The cruise and normal take-off are not much louder than stock exhaust at wot. At wot now, it clearly buzzes. An h-pipe instead of an x-pipe will cut the buzz for burble but keeps the torque band low, if that's what you want.

Carin, what size mufflers are you using? I have 18" Borlas and have no buzz at WOT, and I have true duals with an X-pipe. Others have done this as well, but things seem to hinge on what length muffler your using.

V8Supercoupe said:
Carin, what size mufflers are you using? I have 18" Borlas and have no buzz at WOT, and I have true duals with an X-pipe. Others have done this as well, but things seem to hinge on what length muffler your using.

The mufflers are stock length. I just discovered that they did the pipes wrong. They are 2.25 from the x back to the rear bends and then go to 2.5 through the bends. I'm sure that that contribtes to the sound.

You may find going with a longer muffler will help. My exhaust, as well as many others run on a 45 degree angle that dumps the muffler at the corners of the rear bumper cover. You would put the 45's in right at the IRS.
This eliminates the 2- 90 degree factory bends. By doing this,,, it will allow you to run the larger muff.

Back