trans problems

JAYSSC

This is a good one. I got a 91 sc auto from a guy I work with. The car has sat for 2 years. Before it sat for the winter it had a trans service done to it. They went to move it in the spring and it would try to go into gear but would not move. (E-brake was frozen up also) I get the car home put plugs and wires to get it running, unfrose the e-brake, and put 4 qts of atf in before it would read on the dipstick. Now the problem I have is it leakes fluid where 2 bolts in the pan are missing, and car only wants to go in drive in every every gear (reverse, neutral, drive) but doesnt try pulling forward in drive when starting. I know it wont move cause of the parking sprag but figured if the trans was spanked it would feel like it would want to go in park. Do you guys think something could be gummed in the valve body? Im gonna drain everything out of it and put a new filter, pan and bolts on it after I check the valve body but do you guys that know these trans. better think its shot? Ill be checking it next week so any input will help.

Thanks, Jason

Every aod I have seen do that had the direct clutches welded together. Put it in neutral and try to start it does it pull forward?
Alan

A stuck governor will not want to shift, maybe I misunderstood the post but it seems like he is getting forward in all gears to me, that tells me the direct clutch is welded together. I used to pull cabs in like that all the time. Put them in neutral and crank them sometimes they'll even start once you get moving.
Alan

Well I Dropped The Pan And There Is Lots Of Little Chunks Of Clutch Disks In The Pan So Time For A New One. Will A N/a Trans Out Of A 91 Bird 3.8 Or A 93 Couger 3.8 Work Till I Have Time To Build The One In The Car This Winter. Have Them Both Sitting Behind The Garage So Might As Well Use Them So The Girl Friend Can Drive To Work.
Thanks.
Jason

Back