AC refill q...

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
So dad's AC on the 2000 taurus SE kinda stoped working. I checked the low pressure switch on the accumulator and the compressor runs. So I bought a recharge kit (one 14 oz bottle). I tried filling it to the blue but the needle on the cheapo gauge kept creeping back...so I check the taurus site, browse and realize DOH! i need the compressor running. So today i go out there, jump the pressure switch so the compressor kicks in and fill the system some. After seeing no difference I decide to plug back the low pressure switch and try filling it up a bit. Now the compressor kinda turns on and off by its self, but the needle keeps telling me that the system is full (in the blue).

The weird thing is that if I jump the compressor to work all the time, the needle will creep back to the green (meaning add more), and when I shut it off the needle goes up to the red.

Im wondering if I should keep filling up the system. also, which reading should I base my self on...with the compressor running all the time (jumped?), or with the actual pressure switch hooked up?

Any help appreciated!

While the compressor is running, the pressure is reduced because the compressor is sucking on the low pressure line and it will normally read about 45-50 PSI when full. When you turn the clutch OFF, pressure throughout the system balances and will read between 65-90 PSI.
If you are using the same kit I bought with a trigger activated valve to do the charging, be carefull. The gauge on mine stopped reading accurately after a few uses, I dont think they are meant for much use. I bought a second gauge that seems to read more accurately.

If the clutch is cycling on / off, that means you are still low. I would suggest returning the gauge you have, get a "better" one and at least 12 more ounces of refrig.

I think im going to go get some 'proper' AC manifold gauges and measure the proper pressures. Any ideas what these should be in the high and low sides? Im also going to get a die can to see If i have any leaks and soem more refrigerant.

Get the R134A with Oil

CaifanSC said:
I think im going to go get some 'proper' AC manifold gauges and measure the proper pressures. Any ideas what these should be in the high and low sides? Im also going to get a die can to see If i have any leaks and soem more refrigerant.
Yup.. I agree. Those gages on the kits suck donkey droppings. I got one of these gages that hold the reading and it works great. Also I recommend the kits with oil and coolant. I recharged mine three weeks ago and now it blows at 42 degrees.

As you fill you compressor should come on and stay on much longer then the intermittent cycling when the pressure is low. Take reading accurately when the compressor is running.

CaifanSC said:
high and low side pressures depend on ambient air temperature. at 80 degrees F low side pressure should be 35-55 psi. high side pressure should be 150-250 psi.

Back