Window Problem ( Different Question)

Billabong089

Hey guys, my driver side window is perfectly fine, my passenger side only reall wants to go down and not up, it gets stuck down and the I have to keep playing with the switch until it goes up maybe like 20minutes haha.

so both switches don't want to bring the window up? Sounds odd, could it be a wiring issue? IF so can someone help me what to check with the voltmeter, etc.

I had the same problem with my 89 lx, and it turned out that both switches went bad at the same time, not sure if that is your problem, just letting you know it could be the switches, you can get them at ford, and I dont think they were that expensive

If the passenger window switch on the passenger door is defective, then the passenger window switch on the driver's door will not be able to raise the passenger window. This is because current to the passenger window motor always has to flow through the passenger window switch no matter which of the two switches is pressed. To elaborate, when the passenger window switch on the passenger door is pressed, current flows to the motor through this switch, and when the passenger window switch on the driver's door is pressed (and the passenger window switch on the passenger door is not) current still flows through the passenger window switch on the passenger door to the motor.
First swap between the two switches for the window and door lock that are on the passenger door. If that fixes the problem, either replace the defective switch or open it up and clean the contacts.

J.D. said:
If the passenger window switch on the passenger door is defective, then the passenger window switch on the driver's door will not be able to raise the passenger window. This is because current to the passenger window motor always has to flow through the passenger window switch no matter which of the two switches is pressed. To elaborate, when the passenger window switch on the passenger door is pressed, current flows to the motor through this switch, and when the passenger window switch on the driver's door is pressed (and the passenger window switch on the passenger door is not) current still flows through the passenger window switch on the passenger door to the motor.
First swap between the two switches for the window and door lock that are on the passenger door. If that fixes the problem, either replace the defective switch or open it up and clean the contacts.

What happens if the contact on the pax side switch is burned out and doesn't allow the current flow when the switch is depressed, but the driver side switch side still works and allows the current flow?

Frit

fturner said:
What happens if the contact on the pax side switch is burned out and doesn't allow the current flow when the switch is depressed, but the driver side switch side still works and allows the current flow?

Frit

After giving Billabong089's problem some more thought, I would have to say that the only reason for his problem is that both switches are bad, as thundrburd suggested. I can't think of any other reason.

In reply to your question, you need to be more specific. The window switches are part of the circuit to the window motors even when they are not depressed in the window UP or window DOWN positions. So if the passenger door window switch is removed/disconnected, you will not be able to move the passenger window using the switch on the driver's door. If the window switches on the driver's door are removed, you will not be able to move the passenger window using the switch on the passenger's door.

I was actually trying to point out to you that in fact the pax side switch can be defective cause the contacts are worn out, but the drivers side switch in fact will still work for the pax side.

I was trying to make you think that way ;).

Frit

fturner said:
I was actually trying to point out to you that in fact the pax side switch can be defective cause the contacts are worn out, but the drivers side switch in fact will still work for the pax side.

I was trying to make you think that way ;).

Frit
That's only if the contacts in the passenger side switch that close when the switch is operated are bad. If the contacts in the passenger side switch that are closed when the switch is not pressed are bad, then the driver's side switch will not work for the passenger window.

Thanks for the replies guys,, appreciate it.

Umm the passenger switch has been replaced before, worked for a month til I got the similar problem, going up wouldnt work via that switch but down would - but the driver side (pass) switch would work fine so I could use the window via the driver side.

I opened these switches up, they look so simple in design so I just don't understand how they go bad.

I tried the door/window switch swap, nothing.

Back