Easy way out

leeklimala

What "at the least" do I need to take off or disconnect to replace my factory motor mounts with solid ones? I have read alot of the posts about this, but haven't seen much besides IC tubes, and maybe exhaust. Going to be doing this with a mechanic friend of mine. Also, easier to reach from the bottom, top, or wheel well?

Thanks...

i did mine a couple weeks ago from the front, i didnt even have do do a single thing from the bottom. removed all the front accessories and brackets, and upper and lower ic tubes.i used some cheapo aftermarket solid rubber ones which are a bit taller then the factory ones, that explains why i had such a tough time bolting them on to the block:mad: you would be wise to get them from one of the online vendors tha has the same size mounts available. oh and you dont have to remove the exhaust if you do them from the front.

chazzwozzle said:
i did mine a couple weeks ago from the front, i didnt even have do do a single thing from the bottom. removed all the front accessories and brackets, and upper and lower ic tubes.i used some cheapo aftermarket solid rubber ones which are a bit taller then the factory ones, that explains why i had such a tough time bolting them on to the block:mad: you would be wise to get them from one of the online vendors tha has the same size mounts available. oh and you dont have to remove the exhaust if you do them from the front.
How many hours would you say you spent on the job?

Lee, if you need some help doing it, let me know. I did mine and they weren't bad at all with the accessory brackets out of the way.

Last edited:
Are you guys unbolting the bracket from the engine block? or just the bottom bracket and top nut? I did some on a 93 where I left the bracket on engine and lifted the engine up high enough to take out the bottom bracket with rubber mount. I have to do this job on my 90SC and was hoping it would be the same. Those engine block bolts are the worst.

7birdslater said:
I did some on a 93 where I left the bracket on engine and lifted the engine up high enough to take out the bottom bracket with rubber mount. ...

uhhh perhaps dumb question, but what bout the tranny & drive shaft? Can you just pull the engine up safely with everything attached?

I did, Just used a block of wood carefully placed under the oil pan and lifted it up. Never had a problem with the trans. I would bet you have a problem with it hitting the tunnel before the mount or U joint reaches capacity. :)

k member bolts....

We changed one mount just lifting the motor, and the other we were able to get to by dropping the k member... Make sure the motor is supported, of course.... 4 backward torx bolts each side. 15mm 6 point socket works on em.
remove the passenger side ones, and just loosen the driver side ones.
This saves from the need of removing the fronside of the motor. Well it worked for us... Took like 40 mins...

paul

Back