code 19

PETEp

Code 19 what do I do now:eek: Its not the DIS just had it checked today. Would the cam sensor quit when warmed up then work when the car cools down. thanks:(

Make sure all your harnesses are making good connections. You may want to redo the heatsink on it and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I have a theoretical question on how a DIS module is checked to see if it is good or failed. Did they check it while it was good and hot like in the operation mode that it failed in. My theory is that a module can test good at low temps and then fail at a high temp. This would explain why your problems occur after the engine warms up. My experiences with my failing DIS modules was always under very high heat conditions in summer driving. John

Re Dis

I went to napa they told me to run the car till it skiped. Then I took off the DIS took it to them not far a way. It was still very warm they hooked it to there tester. they ran the test 4times this made the DIS so hot I could not hold it in my hand. I put it back in my car started right up drove about 10 min skiping again. I could just take this car to ford but I dont want I want to fix it if I can. they think its the coil pack I have not seen any posts about bad coil packs. I had the crank sensor change last year. This is a cruise night car so I dont drive it every day. I thank everyone for there help I think I will go for the cam sensor next.:rolleyes:

PETEp said:
I went to napa they told me to run the car till it skiped. Then I took off the DIS took it to them not far a way. It was still very warm they hooked it to there tester. they ran the test 4times this made the DIS so hot I could not hold it in my hand. I put it back in my car started right up drove about 10 min skiping again. I could just take this car to ford but I dont want I want to fix it if I can. they think its the coil pack I have not seen any posts about bad coil packs. I had the crank sensor change last year. This is a cruise night car so I dont drive it every day. I thank everyone for there help I think I will go for the cam sensor next.:rolleyes:

The coil pack is set up so the coils each have two cylinders on them. So if you lost one of the 3 coils, you'd lose two cylinders. It would be running like crap and barely drivable if you only had 4 cylinders firing. You can get an arc tester to see if you are getting fire on all 6. Make sure the plug wires are on good with no cracks in the plugs.

You ever solve this? Im having the same problem, Runs great cold then warm up car and skipping with a code 19 stored. Im thinking DIS since mine wasnt mounted properly for the last 500 miles.

If you start and run the car with the cam sensor unplugged, you will get a stored code #19. Code #19 is "cylinder identification (CID) sensor input failure" This indicates to me that the computer can't identify which cylinder is firing. I would try changing the cam sensor.

Bryan

Thanks, I did run it two days now with the sensor unplugged, however the car started right up both times.... It runs great with that way and does keep the stored code 19. Im so glad its the cam sensor, although im baffled on how it would make it run so bad like that when it can run fine without it:confused: OH well. its cheap. :) Thanks.

I think if the sensor was bad, it's not able to tell the computer when to properly fire the injectors, but with it unplugged, the computer goes into a default mode and it fires the injectors at the right time. Just a guess. ;)

I have also verified that with the sensor unplugged that when it doesnt start up while cranking, one of the three times it has to guess right, that it will bog down while cranking. However when it guesses correctly and starts, it cranks fine. I believe this is the fuel injectors opening at the wrong time due to this sensor. Its making perfect sense to me now!

I had code 19. Replaced the Cam Sensor (after reseating the DIS with heat transfer compound) and, Bingo! Runs great.

sean

Back