Where to start with Mods (n00b)

SRT-4

I'm sorry but I have been out of the Sc world since 92, Where is a good place to start with mods. I had a 89 SC with a catback and a K&N. But where do I go from there. I'm just looking for a weekend car that will prob never see a 1/4 mile but I still want some good TQ

Randy N Connie said:
A ported blower or MPII, MPIII, or A/R blowers.
With #42 to #50 injectors, and a chip with tune.

Thanks for the info, what about other mods beside a new blower

Underdrive pulleys. The list could be much, much longer; you just need to set a more definite goal.

Nitrous :O)

350 to the rear wheels will not be easy with an m90 and will require head and cam work at a minimum. If you upgrade to an AR blower you will perhaps be closer without going into the longblock..

SO I think setting a budget is better then we can help you more as to what direction you need to head

For 300+ RWHP, check my member page....it will take a lot of mods. However, there are easier ways to get there now, than there were when I started gathering parts.

Damon has some good suggestions (did I just say that out loud?):rolleyes:

LT's, OR X, 3" Exhaust, CAI, 2.8", DR's, 3000 stall

I'm almost in the 13's and i haven't even touched the exhaust yet.

If i was made of money my first mods would be Heads/cam

Last edited:
For 350 rwhp.
I would go with ,
ported heads , $ 500.00 t0 $1500.00
cam, $300.00
A/R blower $ 3500.00 MPII or MPIII $2250.00 used MPII $950.00
,85mm MAF, $?
85mm throttle body $?
,#50 injectors,$?
3.5" cold air pipe and cone filter.

Op.
front mount intercooler $500.00 you build to $1200.00 for MP.
Snow injection $?
raised Blower hat $350.00
Open up intake manifold /plenum ,you build.

Randy

Last edited:
I am thinking along the same lines.....betweeen 300-350 rwhp. I'm having to do mine in stages, but this is the plan as of now. Would also like to hear people suggestions on my "plan of attack"..

---Having tranny rebuilt with Lentech valebody, replace torque convertor and gears (3.55)

---Next will be to open up the exhaust: ported manifolds, 2.5->3->2.5 & add cold air intake

---Then port heads and add cam

---Lastly, put on Mag Powers Mag III combo from Spinning Wheels (Mag III Blower, 85mm TB, raised top)

At that point I'll dyno it see where I'm at...

ufdb said:
I am thinking along the same lines.....betweeen 300-350 rwhp. I'm having to do mine in stages, but this is the plan as of now. Would also like to hear people suggestions on my "plan of attack"..

---Having tranny rebuilt with Lentech valebody, replace torque convertor and gears (3.55)

---Next will be to open up the exhaust: ported manifolds, 2.5->3->2.5 & add cold air intake

---Lastly, put on Mag Powers Mag III combo from Spinning Wheels (Mag III Blower, 85mm TB, raised top)

This will for sure get you over 300rwhp. Don't forget to overdrive the MPIII at least 10%. Maybe send in coated rotors to be put into the MPIII when you send in the core. Unless you are doing a "no-wait" purchase.

ufdb said:

Donald,

If your doing all that work. DO NOT go with ported manifolds. Kooks LT's are the key for big power. 3" X and a 3" exhaust is manditory.

ufdb said:

You will need add larger injectors or you will be running to lean

350rwhp = >$15,000

YA TRYING TO SCARE THE DUDE!

I got more then that for under 15,000 including my car.

With 5-7,000

Buy a used longblock....Get it rebuilt using 351 rods and forged pistons.

Get your heads ported and a cam.

Ported 94/95 SC with MP inlet

10% jackshaft stock 89-93 SC pulley

75mm TB
76mm MAF
42lb injectors
255lph pump

Underdrive pulleys

Ported stock manifolds with high flow cats and a magnaflow resonator(Still using your stock back half exhaust.

And a Tune

You may get to the 300rwhp range for under 5,000 depending on your resources and how much labor costs you.

Next step would be an upgraded IC setup either homemade or an MP front mount.

If you want to spend more you can go MPII or MPIII blower....Or you can cough cough cough...Buy an AR kit from someone who produces them on this board.(that would be an additional 3,000 to whatever else you do)

Now if you skip over the rebuild of the shortblock of course you can save more money...But I think its a bad place to save money if youre looking into making teh investment

pablon2 said:
350rwhp = >$15,000

I agree with Damon...you're trying to scare him.

I've got 2500-3000 in my SC (as far as go fast parts) and am sitting right around 265 rwhp with serious belt slip (which could bump that # up a bit) and I do not yet have a cam. I believe that I am a cam away from over 300 rwhp.

So if you're interested in what it takes to get there, take a look at my member page. A cam added to my car will get me over 300 rwhp without a doubt in my mind, but I've got all the support mods to get the most out of the combination. If I didn't have those mods, heads and cam would get around 250-270 rwhp...then you'd still need more (you already would need more for the injectors at this point as the stock ones are through at 250 rwhp (auto)-265 rwhp (5-speed)).

There are lots of different ways to get to 300+rwhp. What a lot of people won't say (but some have here already) is that it takes supporting mods to get there as well. Meaning, a 255 FI fuel pump is a requirement...it doesn't obviously make any power by itself, but it allows for more power down the road.

(Oh and ported manifolds will be fine...they've been dyno tested on a 450 rwhp SC with no ill effects...and there's absolutely NO proof that any type of exhaust header increases power on our cars...Or I should say in the 4+ years that I've been around this site, I have yet to see any verifiable evidence that headers gain you any power.)

Not trying to scare anyone. Obviously Coy could build him an engine for $7,000. There are two ways to get the HP goal he wants. One way is to put it into a fully complimented car capable of handling the power (350rwhp)while putting it efficiently to the ground and another is to have a nice built engine in a car that can't handle it and he breaks stuff. The former being more expensive. When people advised me on my build they said make sure the car is designed to handle the power or you won't be enjoying it long. This includes drivetrain, braking, suspension, and bracing. Anyhow, don't mind me. It's the heat. But I do have receipts though. :) P.S. my build was from the ground up, not buying someone else's build project for 25 cents on the dollar. Not that anyone here has done that (maybe you have, I wouldn't know), but I have seen a few guys get out of a partially completed build and sold the car for practically nothing.

As far as overdriving the blower I was worried about slipping problems, so I was going to ask for input on that later once I'm closer to that stage. Was waiting to decide one way or the other.

And on the exhaust, I had heard ported minifolds should be good up to 350hp....but I was going to pick my exhaust guy's brain before I commited to anything. I am going to switch out the tank on my 91 to a later style tank so I take out some of the bends. I may end up doing headers like you say Blk89, we'll see..

Anyways SRT, maybe this will give you some ideas from someone who was in your position not long ago. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back