Driver Side Motor Mount Replacement - My Story

Black93sc

Hey Guys, Here's how I was able to get the ds motor mount replaced without taking stuff off of the motor:

First off, my ds mount was ripped in half.

I unbolted the through bolts on the lower steel mounts (both sides) that go through the frame by jacking the motor up a bit to get the weight off of them. Next, I pulled those bolts out from the front of the car from underneath with a long ~~~ pair of needle nosed pliers.

I jacked the motor up some more (after unbolting the nut that holds the trans mount to the crossmember). The other bolt on the d/s lower bracket was removed by using a very long extension and a breaker bar from the top. Next, I slid out the lower steel part of the mount with its half of the broken motor mount on the drivers side from the bottom going rearward (I had to wiggle it unitil it would come out). Then, I fenagled my way to the bolts holding the upper steel bracket and the other half of the broken mount with ridiculously weird combonations of extensions and a 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapter. This upper half slid out the same way as the lower half.

I slid the new mount up into its general area then slid the lower steel bracket to meet up with it. Then I bolted these two together. Then I slid the upper bracket in and bolted it to the motor mount. Next, I bolted the upper steel mount to the block. Then I lowered the motor and bolted the lower steel bracket back in place. I slid the cross bolt back through the pass side bracket and bolted it up.

This would have been much easier had I unbolted the exhaust and unbolted and pushed back the steering shaft. Now I know for next time.

When I am up to it, the pass side mount will be changed too.

Pass Side

The pass side mount was much easier. After unbolting the top half of the steel mount from the block using combonations of extensions/swivels and a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter, I wiggled the whole mount assembly so that the bottom half of the lower mount was facing me on roughly a 45 degree angle towards the front of the car facing downward. Then, I removed the two little bolts that hold the lower steel mount to the motor mount. After that, I was able to slide the motor mount and upper bracket out from underneath - again going towards the front of the car towards the bottom. Reverse procedure for installation.

With the sway bar removed, I am pretty sure the whole mount assembly on the pass side could be slid out as a unit.

The hardest part for me for the motor mount job was getting the bolts off that bolt the top halves of the steel mount bracets to the block.

Sounds good.
Dropping the k member allows access without all the extensions + things. Also you can replace those swaybar bushings while your'e in there...

paul

Motor Mounts

Paul,

This is all very true. My goal was to figure out how to do it without having to remove anything else. I am pretty sure I've got it down pat now. Removing both of the front wheels also helps to gain access to the bolts holding the top bracket to the block as it allows one to get a straighter angle on those bolts when using an extension to break them loose.

Thanks for the reply.

Ted

thirdbird said:
Sounds good.
Dropping the k member allows access without all the extensions + things. Also you can replace those swaybar bushings while your'e in there...

paul

Back