PDA

View Full Version : Need help quick... I don't like getting passed

BlkSCnKS
08-07-2002, 07:18 PM
I just bought a '95 SC 5 speed. It is bone stock except for a K&N panel filter. The temp gauge gets high enough at times to set off the check gauge light. The previous owner just replaced the thermostat and had the radiator flushed and the problem persists. The engine was just replaced around 6 or 7 thousand miles ago. I am at a loss. Faulty thermostat? It also seems very sluggish compared to my '91 SC 5 speed with 180,000 miles which is bone stock except for removed air silencer. I was wondering if maybe the cats could be plugged. I plan on doing an exhaust and maybe an intercooler fan and if I could somehow test the cats and they are bad, I would do it now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Brandon

IGot6UGot8
08-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Sorry, can't help you with your question, but where are you located at in KS? I'm In Wichita.

Jake

BlkSCnKS
08-07-2002, 08:49 PM
I live in Wichita near Central and Ridge

Mike8675309
08-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Did you verify that the fan works?

Low speed fan should be on when A/C is on. High speed should come on at over 225.

That could be your overheat problems. And if it heats up, you could be getting spark knock.

KwikGSeX
08-07-2002, 09:45 PM
If the fans come on then its possible its the dreaded head gasket syndrome.. Before you waste any money on exhaust or fan's.. GET THE OVERHEATING PROBLEM FIXED!! :)

O and on a side note.. If the cats were clogged your car would barely be running.. Tho if the gaskets are blown a clogged cat could be a culprit..

luznit
08-07-2002, 09:51 PM
YOu can try burping it too since they change the thermostat.Worth giving it a try.Later.

Wicked SC
08-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, how do you burp the cooling system? Do you just remove the radiator cap, along with that vent plug on top of the engine? :confused:

BlkSCnKS
08-08-2002, 11:02 AM
I am going to hook up a manual temp gauge to it today. What should the temp get up to? The high speed fan is coming on. Could it just be the temp sender? Could the head gaskets have already gone after just 6 or 7 thousand miles? Thanks, Brandon

SweetSc
08-08-2002, 02:25 PM
BTW.. You dont have a high speed fan.. just a low. If the temp gets to high, the pusher fan infront of your radiator will come on.

Chris

BlkSCnKS
08-08-2002, 03:26 PM
The fan will come on with the AC on but it doesn't come on if it is off. The gauge was up at the M and the fan still had not kicked on. I turned the AC on, and it instantly came on. So, is it the coolant sensor? I will find out soon as I am about to replace the sensor and the gauge sender. Thanks, Brandon

J57ltr
08-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Remove the bolt just to the right of the thermostat housing with the plastic ring around it. Remove the rad cap and fill the system slowly until coolant comes out of the vent you removed earlier. Make sure the overflow does not leak, and fill it as well. Replace the rad cap if you even think it might be bad.

On the later model cars the front fan is the low speed fan. I sat and watched a 94 for more than an hour and every 5-7 minutes the front fan would cycle. I thought it was the rear fan, but the rear one was not turning. The temp was low in the normal range, the car had no problems overheating. We were having trouble with the alternator.

Jeff

BlkSCnKS
08-08-2002, 04:53 PM
I replaced both coolant sensors and the gauge hasn't gone above the N in Norm so I think I am good to go. Thanks for everybodys advice. Brandon

WestCoastGhost
08-08-2002, 07:40 PM
I replaced my sensor, relay and fan. Never goes above "N" now. Car is stock. You should be good to go.

sbest
08-09-2002, 03:18 AM
I have a 94 and noticed that my power really drops off when the temp guage reached the mid mark. I was having some problems with power loss in the mid-range (4000-5000rpm) that was due to spark knock when the engine was warm. Verified this by pulling the knock detector and hearing the knock. I replaced the 197 thermostat with a 180 (drilled burp hole installed up) and got rid of both problems, although it will go sluggish on a hot day with the A/C on full in traffic (low air flow, runs mid-guage hot).

Steve Best