AOD probs

RealestSC

As some of you know I am new here. I picked up my '89 SC real cheap the other day. The only drivability problem is that it doesn't want to shift from 1-2, and sometimes 2-3. I will be checking the cable that goes from the throttle body to the trans. What else will cause this? I need to get this car on the street as my daily driver ASAP. And doing it cheaply is a plus.:D

have you checked your atf level?

proper procedure is with the car running in park or neutral, pull out the dipstick and check the fluid level using the dipstick-- it should be easy to find. I also like to roll down the window when checking so I won't accidentally lock myself out of the car with the car running. Check the dipstick, if it's low, add whatever type of ATF it requires, most likely Dexron-Mercon III or Mercon V, but most probably III. From what you are describing, it is most likely low on ATF. But of course, I could be wrong, but when you get slippage it's usually from lack of ATF rather than the transmission being dead. Check it right away before anything REALLY disasterous happens.

Good luck,
Ghost

Need more info...

What do you mean by it doesn't want to shift from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3? Does it hold the gear and wind out without attempting to shift, or does it wind out and then freewheel (like it was shifted to neutral)? Does it eventually "catch" the next gear? Do you have to let off the accelerator momentarily to get it to upshift? If it does shift, does it have a harsh clunk when upshifting, or downshifting? Different shift patterns (or symptoms) can point to different issues.

I'm been around cars forever. I do all my own work if possible. The first thing I did was check fluid levels. It will hold 1st and wind out. After bumping the shifter to manually get it into second it acts ok sometimes. Sometimes it will wind out and freewheel, just as you described. It can shift kind of slow and all, but there really are no harsh shift points. Hope this helps. I need to get this thing on the road ASAP. I'm hoping it's something simple, because I don't have a car if this thing's down. Thanks guys.

Here's a couple of things to look at that won't break the bank. First, check the tension on the throttle valve cable at the throttle body. If it is holding first too long, the cable may be too tight. The best way to set the TV pressure is with a gauge, but you can get it pretty close by releasing the slide pin on the spring loaded link connector and reinstalling it onto the throttle body linkage. Just make sure there isn't any slack or that it isn't too tight. Another thing that comes to mind is the shift linkage at the valvebody inside the pan. I mention this because you are able to get some shifting by bumping the shifter. It may be that the linkage isn't lined up properly with the "rooster comb". You can give this an initial test by checking the lever on the outside of the pan to see if it seats correctly in the detents (on the comb inside the pan). You may need to loosen the shift cable to move the lever through the different positions. If the lever doesn't seat correctly, you could be getting some fluid seeping by a valve. If all this checks out, you probably should drop the pan and see if there is any debris in it.
One more thing to check is the governor on the output shaft inside the tail piece. It could have crude in it causing it to stick. You will have to drop the driveshaft, support the tranny case, and drop the crossmember to remove the tail piece. It's a good bit of work, so save this for (hopefully) last.

Here's a good website where you can find all kinds of info on the Ford AOD tranny:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/260730

My friend talked to one of you guys on the phone yesterday or today. He seems to think it has to do something with the hard parts inside the transmission. Pretty much only the 1-2 shift is goofed up here. The other shifts are ok for the most part. He was told that I can't find a good SC trans, that a Mustang one will do for now.

It's not that simple. The SC AOD has some components special to the SC, as well as the ratio's are gonna be different.

I'd get a second opinion. And make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly. Driving with it too loose, even just a few miles can quicky burn up the clutches.

1-2 shift screwy and garbage in the pan. Thats simple the roller clutch blew out. Get an aode sun shell,98up mechanical diode reverse drum, spiral retainer ring and 2 inch wide od band you'll never have the problem again.
Alan

But I'm a poor college kid away from his family and friends. I bought it for a daily driver hoping it would be something simple. I can't afford to spend big money right now. I need a car ASAP. I haven't had my own car to drive in more than 5 weeks. BTW, I just need to get this car going because my other car is knocking, and I don't want to do more damage to it.

If you want it reliable you'll follow the advice I have given you. I understand being poor and having other things to spend the money on that is why it is alot better to fix it right the first time instead of fixing it over and over again.
Alan

What I mean is, if I can't fix it for around $400, I'm selling the car as is. It's not that I don't want to spend the money; I don't have the money. I'm a kid with student loans living on his own. :(

Sounds like you need a more economical car, I hate to say it because I love these cars but they just aren't very economical at this point in time they are too old to not have problems unless the problems have been corrected.
Alan

There are used SC specific AOD's to be had for that kind of money. Install it yourself over a weekend and then either keep it and drive it, or then sell it for more to buy a more reliable car. I paid 175 bucks for my SC AOD, put it in myself and got lucky, it shifts pretty good. Thats the poor way out. :)

Getting lucky on these transmission s is the best you can hope for. With a used transmission it's always a gamble and this day and age these transmissions are a minimum of 13 years old. Meaning either they have high mileage or they have been sitting and the seals are probably dry rotted in them. The only real hope is to find one that was recently rebuilt by someone who had a clue. Then you really don't know whats in there unless you take it apart to find out.
Alan

Good point, the 97 dated clean rebuild that I pulled out of my SC had an 83 Tbird AOD case, and an 84 Tbird Valve body with a B overdrive servo.... I really did get lucky on the replacement, but I also got it from Racecougar who pulled it from a lot driver, so I knew it would at least pull the car:)

I know all about the age of these cars. My other car that is knocking right now is an '87 Buick Turbo Regal. I know what age and power does to parts.:D I just like the idea of having two black and blown 3.8L cars. Somebody find me a trans and I might keep it. I'm still driving it right now, and it does alright. It's just not perfect, you know. I work at a dealership so I can get access to anything I would need to install a trans. I just need the proper AOD. So what's the difference between a GT trans and a SC trans. Thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• 04-14-06_2002.jpg
    04-14-06_2002.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 34
The biggest difference I can think of is the "A" overdrive servo. The SC is one of the only cars to get it (for some odd reason:confused: )

been there done that, still there!

This is true that the SC is a heavy duty aod, but if you're going to poor boy it you can use a standard aod if you can keep your foot out of the throttle...lol...
I've been running an aod out of an 83 mercury marquis for 3 years in my 89!...it's still got the old style accumulator and no upgrades, but, I keep the fluid/filter changed and don't run it very hard...and yes it's days are numbered it won't last 3 more years but It's got me through without any problems and I didn't pay anything for the trans so I could afford to try it. I'm now in process of collecting parts to rebuild the orginal unit. I also ran the convertor that came with it so the stall was lower and probably helps the weaker trans by cushioning some of that torque.
There's some really great help available on this site and without it I wouldn't have been able to keep my SC going economically...if you don't like working on your car an old SC is definately not for you...
just my 2 cents...

Back