what lube to use on the moonroof?

kwikcoupe

yep its dry as a bone up there it gets kinda slow towards full close. ts clean and all but really dry. Anyone know a good clear, waterproof lube used for sunroofs and such. The dealership didnt know of any he could sell me so i guess its nothing special

good question... i've been wondering that myself.

My roof has some old grease on it or something thats all dry and crusty.

-nick

well, i searched after I did a post and used some white lithium grease as everyone states. I also oticed when the track goes forward, it pushes most of it out of the way. The moonroof works great again so it was definatly the lube job that it needed.

The cousins volvo has some thick clear stuff in its track. Maybe ill persue other auto manufactures and see if I cant find something that would last longer than the lithium. I was impressed with how good it worked though. Thanks Mike

The cousins volvo has some thick clear stuff in its track.
It could be silicone grease. The kind of stuff that you use on urethane bushings. I found a large grease gun type tube at a place the sells food grade lubercants, less than $10 bucks a tube.

Do you just spray it along the whole length of the track? Open and/or closed? Would the lithium grease last longer and/or work better than WD-40? That should be very helpful!

Also, when you open the roof fully, is it supposed to open about 2" then stop? After releasing the switch you can open it the rest of the way. I can hear a relay clicking at the stop point, so I'm sure it's by design, but why anyone would want to stop it at that point consistently I don't know. I can think of a couple of other spots I'd like a pause relay, like getting to the "just closed" position, either opening or closing, instead of tap-tap-tapping the switch to get it "just right".

brdman2 said:
Do you just spray it along the whole length of the track? Open and/or closed? Would the lithium grease last longer and/or work better than WD-40? That should be very helpful!

Yes, lithium grease will work better and last longer than WD-40. WD-40 is a WATER DISPLACER that will dry dry up and leave basically nothing behind. It works as a lube for a short time and works ok as a penetrating oil to free rusted nuts/bolts, but in all reality it was designed/formulated as a Water Displacer and it was the 40th attempt at making it.... hence the name WD-40.

brdman2 said:
Also, when you open the roof fully, is it supposed to open about 2" then stop? After releasing the switch you can open it the rest of the way. I can hear a relay clicking at the stop point, so I'm sure it's by design, but why anyone would want to stop it at that point consistently I don't know. I can think of a couple of other spots I'd like a pause relay, like getting to the "just closed" position, either opening or closing, instead of tap-tap-tapping the switch to get it "just right".

This sounds like something is out of alignment. The roof should ONLY stop on it's own at the fully open and/or fully closed position when holding the switch.
I remember reading on here a while back that someone else had the same thing happening with their moonroof after having it all apart to change the seals/weatherstripping. I believe the solution was to pull it back apart and get everything aligned properly.

Hopefully someone can jump in here and explain what needs to be done to get it aligned or whatever.

Actually, the roof stopping there is by design. It was a fix that was installed as a TSB for the older cars and I believe it was standard on the 94+. Here's the TSB for those that want to smash me for not knowing what I'm talking about :D .

----------------------------------------------------
Moon Roof - Wind Noise When Fully Open
Article No.
93-23-1

11/10/93

^ MOON ROOF - POWER - WINDNOISE/BUFFETING WHEN FULLY OPEN - THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR BUILT FROM JOB 1 THROUGH 12/31/93 AND 1993 MARK VIII

^ WINDNOISE/BUFFETING FROM POWER MOON ROOF WHEN FULLY OPEN - THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR BUILT FROM JOB-1 THROUGH 12/31/93 AND 1993 MARK VIII

^ POWER MOON ROOF - WINDNOISE/BUFFETING WHEN FULLY OPEN - THUNDERBIRD/COUGAR BUILT FROM JOB-1 THROUGH 12/31/93 AND 1993 MARK VIII

FORD:
1989-94 THUNDERBIRD

LINCOLN-MERCURY:
1989-94 COUGAR
1993 MARK VIII

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the model year application and to revise the part number specified.

ISSUE:
The factory-installed power moon roof may exhibit "windnoise/buffeting" at speeds between 35 and 45 MPH (56 and 72 KM/H) when fully open. This occurs because the wind is unable to clear the opening without coming into the passenger compartment.

ACTION:
Take one of the following actions to resolve the concern.

1. Advise the customer to close the panel from the full open to about 2/3 open when traveling at speeds between 35 and 45 MPH (56 and 72 KM/H). This causes the wind to clear the smaller opening without coming into the passenger compartment.

2. If Step 1 is not acceptable, change the power moon roof motor to the 1994 design level (F4LY-15790-A). This part has an automatic stop at the desired low speed position as well as the full open position. Refer to the 1993 Thunderbird/Cougar or Mark VIII Service Manual, Section 01-17, for service details.

PART NUMBER PART NAME CLASS

F4LY-15790-A Power Moon Roof Motor A

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 93-20-1
WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Bumper To Bumper For 1992/93 Models, Basic Warranty Coverage For All Other Models

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
932301A Remove and Replace Moon 0.7 Hr.
Roof Motor - T'Bird/Cougar
932301B Remove and Replace Moon 0.6 Hr.
Roof Motor - Mark VIII

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
15790 08

OASIS CODES: 105000, 205000, 701000

-------------------------------------------------------

Frit

Well, that's news to consider - thanks, Frit! It's possible that something may still need to be aligned, but this makes sense. If I read the TSB correctly, the manual solution was to close the roof to about 2/3 open. Mine doesn't stop at 2/3 open, but at about 2-3" open, so it's possible it could need to be aligned some, but since it does open & close properly (at least as far as I can tell, this being my first moonroof car), I don't want to mess anything up on it by trying to tear it apart right now. I can deal with pressing, releasing then pressing the switch when I want some fresh air (which is every morning - too hot in the afternoon right now!). I will need to replace the seal one of these days, though, so maybe I'll look at it then. As I said, it's at the exact same spot - opening or closing - so it appears to be by design.
It's interesting that this TSB appears to have been done, though; I'd like to think if the owner(s) were savvy enough to have this done that they got the headlight switch recall done, as well. (One can hope.)
Of course I should have thought about what WD-40 does best, which is NOT to last a long time on moving surfaces. Thanks for the wake-up.

If I read your post correctly you say that you have to keep pressing the button to get it in the correct closed position?

brdman2 said:
instead of tap-tap-tapping the switch to get it "just right".

If you are "tap-tap-tapping" the switch to get it just right, then I would seriously doubt that the afore mentioned TSB has anything to do with it. Sounds like someone had it all apart at some time for whatever reason and did not get it back together properly. If it had been purposely changed due to the TSB then it should STOP when it is fully closed as well as when it is fully open and at 2/3 open. Yours is stopping at 2" to 3" open and fully open but not at fully closed. Something is out of whack. As you said though.... if it doesn't bother you that much then I wouldn't worry about it until you replace the seal. THEN fix it.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. I hold the button until the relay stops movement. Then I release it and press it again and it will keep moving until it reaches a stop or I let go. Press, release, press - opening or closing.

Now you've got me wondering how bad it is. It will stop automatically in the full open position, but when closing it pops up to the closed & level position then keeps going up to the tilt position. When closing from the tilt position, holding the button will lower it level and then keep opening, etc. If you say it should stop at closed & level, then I agree that it's probably way mis-aligned. Probably the relay that stops it at the 2-3" mark should be the one stopping at the closed position but is out of whack. This make a whole lot of sense now. Thanks for the input!

P.S. The car was apparently repainted before it came to the lot, so don't know if someone took the roof out to paint it, or if it just needs to be aligned.
P.P.S. This got me to searching and I found a couple of threads about the alignment procedure. Sounds easy enough from the descriptions, but if someone still has a .pdf of the procedure from one of the books (Helms?), I'm sure it would still be appreciated by myself & others.

Dennis

If the roof will not stop in the closed position then the motor is out of time. If you would like the instructions on how to retime it PM your email address and I will send it to you. If you do not understand what I am talking about remove the sunroof motor access cover and watch the motor while pushing the switch.

wind deflector

Anyone ever get the wind deflector to work, more than a couple of cycles?
(pops up :rolleyes: when moonroof opens)

sail7seas said:
Anyone ever get the wind deflector to work, more than a couple of cycles?
(pops up :rolleyes: when moonroof opens)

Nope, mines been broken I think as long as I've owned the car.

Back