Blowing up cats

Tony8470

No not the felines. On my last car, when I had 10% boost, I literally blew the cats out the exhaust. I was racing a guy, my buddies behind me said there were sparks coming out the exhaust. Well I got the downtubes put on and one was completely hollowed out.

I have 10% on this one and I just replaced a belt that was slipping. Took it out last night to see how well it worked. Today when I'm driving to work I hear rattling in the exhaust, the same rattling I heard when I blew my cats up. Wondering if anyone else had this happen?

What kind of cats are you running? I've had some dynomax cats and some magnaflow cats and haven't had that problem with either.

First thing I thought of when I read the title to this post was sticking firecrackers up a cats ~~~. :p

If they were stock cats they blow out from age. when i removed my exhaust there was nothing left in either cat

They were stock. But I've never once read about anyone having this same problem. I was just wondering if maybe I had dud cats in both cars. Which seemed above and beyond normal.

I blew part of my cat out when I blew headgaskets. Had the motor back together, and was loading the car on the trailer - was getting dark outside - and saw small, bright things behind the car... I lost the rest of the convertors on the first few runs at the dyno :D

-Melon

Back