NEVER use LOC-TITE on HB Bolt

littleboylan

Just thought I would share this with anyone that has not gone through a broken Harmonic balancer Bolt before.

Never use loc-tite on your bolt, NEVER :eek:

Anyways I have just replaced my second broken bolt and first busted balancer.

First time the bolt came right out with an easy out, so assuming that the bolt came loose, and then sheared the bolt, I decided to use loc-tite the second time.

Well the bolt broke again on the reman balancer, and I broke 2 Easy-outs, 1 Drill-out, and 3 drill bits trying to get the easy-out out. Only thing that would get the sheared bolt out was the Left hand drill bit removers.

Just letting everyone know my NIGHTMARE lol

Mike

I guess it's a little late for Mike, but a word to everyone else.

DO NOT USE LOCKTITE UNLESS THE APPLICATION SPECIFICALLY REQUIRES IT!!!!

Trust me on this one. :)

Never said better :D

I just thought I would show that bolt from walking out, lol, but now I know to FOLLOW instructions, instead of just reading them.

Mike

DamonSlowpokeBaumann said:
Eh nothing a lil torching cant fix hehe

Now the bigger question is..Why do you keep breaking them?>

I did torch it after I got the easy out to drill out. Then the left hand bit to finally get a good enough grip on it...

I probably broke this balancer, due to the first time I reinstalled my motor I RE-USED the old bolt, Im thinking that why it broke the first time, and the HB seemed untouched so I reused the balancer.

The second time the shaft of the balancer snapped, so Im thinking due to stress it just couldnt take it.

Hopefully the BHJ will handle it.

Mike

Back