No clutch/slave cylinder question

BlownSix

Before anyone asks, yes I did search and I found most of my answers. But I just want to double check them.

Last night I was driving around and I slowed down to make a turn and pushed in the clutch. The clutch felt like it stuck and was soft and I started hearing this really weird sound. I got to the end of the road where there is a stop sign and again slowed down and pushed in the clutch. When I had the clutch pushed in, the car stalled. WTH? I was able to start the car but it wouldn't go into any gear. The noise was now a "flapping" sorta sound. That's the best way I know how to describe it. I checked the fluid level it was a bit low but not empty or anything. I believe my slave cylinder leaks b/c the fluid level would get a bit low and then the car got really hard to shift. Fill it back up and it would shift fine. I had no pedal resistance what so ever. It went straight to the floor. You couldn't even pump it and get some resistance. So, in addition to the slave cylinder taking a dump, what else may have gotten screwed up? I had to get it towed at 11pm last night. Ugh.

Thoughts? Comments? Prices?

Thanks

If you're lucky, the input shaft of the transmission wasn't damaged. you'll have to pull the trans and get a new slave cylinder at least. A new throwout bearing for sure, and possibly a new pressure plate. You won't know until you get it apart.

The guy that has my car called today. Says I need a new clutch, slave cylinder, and master cylinder....to the tune of $822.xx.

Opinions?

Parts are around $500. So if that includes labor, probably about right. But what clutch and flywheel is going back in there?

I'd make sure you get something decent and not just the local parts store stock replacement. That would be too much for the local parts store replacement.

I know the prices are about right, it just sucks. Anyway, I'm going to be supplying the parts. They tell me exactly the parts they are going to need and I will purchase them. That way I know exactly what's going back in. So, I'm open to suggestions.

You might want to check with the shop first before you buy the parts. A lot of garages nowadays won't install parts that you bring in the door. There are a lot of different opinions on clutches. Search around the forums for opinions. I've personally got a Centerforce DF in my XR-7 and a Centerforce II in my '95 and am happy with both.

Back