sc runs but no go

Rick Mink

I am ready to burn this ~~~~ing thing down to the ground. I have been plagued with problem after problem and dont have anyone near me to help me trouble shoot. I finally got the car running but cant get the car to go into reverse. the car is a 5 speed. The tranny was rebuilt and has 0 miles on it. It will go into 1st no problem but wont engage reverse at all. what gives.

Rick

Rick Mink said:
I am ready to burn this ~~~~ing thing down to the ground. I have been plagued with problem after problem and dont have anyone near me to help me trouble shoot. I finally got the car running but cant get the car to go into reverse. the car is a 5 speed. The tranny was rebuilt and has 0 miles on it. It will go into 1st no problem but wont engage reverse at all. what gives.

Rick
who rebuilt the tranny.. I'd talk to him first. did you try putting it in reverse when the motor is off?

I decided after I posted to go out into the garage and tinker with it some more. I removed the center console and monkeyed around with the shifter. I removed the rearmost shifter stop and that gave me enough movement to be able to engage reverse. I also managed to figure out why my battery went dead. the light in the center console never shuts off cuz the push switch is broke, yet another thing to add to my list. now it seems as if I dont have power steering either. what a bite in the ~~~.

Rick

Rick, if you take the bulb out of the console to keep it from burning, tape those wires in the bulb socket up or they'll touch and blow the fuse for your interior lights. If you have a keypad, that also won't work if that fuse blows.

Like Rick said, I'd check with the mechanic that rebuilt it to make sure it's as it should be. There is an electrical connection on the power steering pump, just across from the washer fluid tank, make sure it's connected good.

I just checked the electrical connection on the power steering pump and guess what, the connector is broken.
i pulled the washer fluid container out to get better access to the connector. I was able to push the whole connector in, but the power steering still didnt work. I'm gonna check to make sure Im getting power in the harness 1st.

Rick

Your power steering is not electric. If it doesn't "work" then most likely you have air in the lines or in the rack itself.

Does it shift properly now? I've seen where people mix up the order of some of the shims/washers on the 5th/rev shaft making rev and 5th difficult and eventually impossible to get into. Hopefully it was just a shifter adjustment. If you have an old Ripper shifter with the stops, then you'll need to clearance the bottom of it or it will rub on itself. Here is what I did to mine.

Attachments

• shifter.JPG
    shifter.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 56
Dave, I wasn't trying to make it sound like his pump was electric, I know better than that. I didn't know if the connector for the ride control sensor might affect it any.

Thanks for the info Sparky. I have a older version of the ripper shifter. I had big hunkin divots in the base of the shifter at one time. I ground those puppys down a while back. It seems to have enough travel to shift ok, but I cant really tell since I can only move like 2 feet either direction until I can get the steering working. (I have a weird garage setup and can only work on both sides of the car if I pull it in on a wierd angle) how do I get the air out of the powersteering lines?? I had the whole unit off so that's a realisttic possibility.

Rick

Last edited:
Jack the front end off the ground and with the engine running cycle the steering wheel slowly back forth, lock to lock. The fluid will have lots of air in it so it will take a while for the pump to quiet down and the fluid level to settle but that should get you started.

Today I raised the front end of the supercoupe in hopes to get the air out of the power steering. I didnt have much luck. how many times should I turn from lock to lock until I get some assist. I dont even hear the damn thing. Here is a photo of where the line connects to the pump. Does that look like the normal amount of threads sticking out?? On the bright side, I did manage to get her out of the garage and give her a bath. I took some photos to share with everyone. Hopefully some of you might actually get to see her on the road. Dont pay much attention to the crappy wheels and tires on her. I'm not putting the new rims and tires on until I get everything buttoned up.

Rick

Attachments

• pwrsteeringconnection.jpg
    pwrsteeringconnection.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 52
  • 3:4driresside.jpg
    3:4driresside.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 3:4driversrear.jpg
    3:4driversrear.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 41
  • fullfrontview.jpg
    fullfrontview.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 61
Be sure to add more power steering fluid a little at a time. You know that if its giving you that much trouble im sure there are a lot of us that would like to buy that sweet ride;)

Back