disappointing day at track

Kevin Leitem

went to prp today, didn't run too well at all:( I put on an old belt from last year and it slipped really bad, was only hitting 15 pounds of boost and would drop to 14 by the end of the run. the day started bad when the car wouldn't start this morning, no spark! i bypassed the MSD and it started, then plugged it back in and it started back up, i just figured it was a bad connection. but then at the track it was hard starting, but it would start. still didn't think anything of it until it was hitting the rev limiter at 5000 when it was set at 6500. played around with it trying to get it to work, realized the MSD is now junk. long story short best time of the day was an 11.46 and 11.50 both at 116 mph. but it did launch well did have a 1.57 60' but then the car was just weak in second and third. I guess it wasn't too bad for all that went wrong. I just was hopping for better times!

Kevin you will get it

"Your new Combo"

This is why test and tune playes a big part in sorting out the bugs when you change a lot of things at once.Your new C4 and light weight K-member combo it will prove to be a big factor in your bid for 10's its to bad the MSD failed on you. Hang in there all the up's and down's once you get it sorted out the performance will be awesome like to see that new K-member and struts setup bet it's nice

The belt slipping on you I know how that is I use to get one maybe two runs before mine slipped and shredded. Cant waite until you get it sorted out like to see how the C4 helps you that is the best setup for racing. I know how this feels been there before in the past change some things and something els little goes hey wire

Last edited:
Kevin Leitem said:
went to prp today, didn't run too well at all:( I put on an old belt from last year and it slipped really bad, was only hitting 15 pounds of boost and would drop to 14 by the end of the run. the day started bad when the car wouldn't start this morning, no spark! i bypassed the MSD and it started, then plugged it back in and it started back up, i just figured it was a bad connection. but then at the track it was hard starting, but it would start. still didn't think anything of it until it was hitting the rev limiter at 5000 when it was set at 6500. played around with it trying to get it to work, realized the MSD is now junk. long story short best time of the day was an 11.46 and 11.50 both at 116 mph. but it did launch well did have a 1.57 60' but then the car was just weak in second and third. I guess it wasn't too bad for all that went wrong. I just was hopping for better times!

I told you the MSD was junk 1 1/2 yrs ago. :p

the jury is out on them as well...

CMac89 said:
What MSD are you using? The only ones worthwhile are the 7AL-2 and the 7AL-3.
I have been chasing hard starts and down on power as well.:confused: I have changed out three boxes so far and each one will work for a while and then go back to hard start mold..:( .. Good luck and lets both get something else that will work better for spark.......Rich

Are you using a crank trigger, Rich? That's what's most compatible with those. I use either one of those on all three of my race cars and have never had a problem or known of one.

Something wrong with your hookup. I can guarantee you have the ground for the MSD to the floorboard of the car and you CANNOT do that. You have to ground and power the MSD directly to the battery regardless of the type.

I have cured dozens of peoples cars by telling them that. I'm actually sick of saying it, lol.

XR7 Dave said:
I told you the MSD was junk 1 1/2 yrs ago. :p
thats actually 2 gone bad in 5 years, the first on was covered by MSD even though it was 3 years old. I doubt they will cover this one, but i will try. even though it has given me troube, i absolutely love it. It still hasn't made me near as mad as i was at the SCT crap:D

Kevin Leitem said:
This time i am going to mount it in the glove box. i think the elements under the hood is killing them
Can you confirm that you have the ground for the MSD on the battery?

Not on this one....

CMac89 said:
Are you using a crank trigger, Rich? That's what's most compatible with those. I use either one of those on all three of my race cars and have never had a problem or known of one.

Something wrong with your hookup. I can guarantee you have the ground for the MSD to the floorboard of the car and you CANNOT do that. You have to ground and power the MSD directly to the battery regardless of the type.

I have cured dozens of peoples cars by telling them that. I'm actually sick of saying it, lol.
Thiis one is grounded to the battery.... This car has been looked at by someone from MSD and they have even thrown their hands up in the air in some "Helpless" form.... The whole system is MSD's and yet it will not play well together.... I am ready to throw a point dist. in this thing and see if it will last for more than a month...
Thanks for that idea, but we have already looked past that point.. By the way, the reason you go rigth to the battery is that is one sure way to prevent "voltage spikes" which is one of the things that will "kill" these boxes.....Rich

Micahdogg said:
I also think you ran pretty good considering. 1.57 short times?!!? Yikes.

Micah
i did like seeing that, I can't wait to transbrake it at 4000 and see what happens!

Last edited:
David Neibert said:
Kevin,

What all has to be change to go from AOD to C4 ?

David
transmission crossmember mounts is all that really needed to be moved, i just drilled out the spot welds and rewelded the mounts forward. I got a B&M shifter, other than that it was pretty much a direct bolt in. Art Carr as a great deal on C-4's right now, i would go with their SFI tranny, that is the one i have and i really really like it!

Back