Gauge Calibration

Ira R.

Does anyone know of a way to check the calibration of the stock temperature guage?? I have an Autometer gauge that I always preumed was working correctly. This year though, I am starting to second guess it, and I guess that's because I am getting mixed signals.

For instance, chip is set to turn on fan at 190°. Well, Autometer gauge hits 190° and I hear the fan turn right on. That means the gauge is working right?? At this point, stock gauge has hardly moved, but the stock thermostat was a 197° right, so this should be okay. So, when the gauge gets to 220°, the stock gauge is still sitting below the "N". Since the "stock" fan settings were what, 220°, I guess that's still okay, right??

So now the Autometer Gauge is pressing 230° and the stock gauge reads on the "N". As the Autometer rises to 235°, stock guage is between the "N" and the "O".

Does this sound right? 235° and the engine is running smack in the middle of the NORM range?? Short of trying to find heat sensor and flashing the thermostat housing, does this sound right to anyone??

I'm starting to think I never should have gotten the Autometer gauge. It's just making me crazy. :confused:

Ira

I know. I have been second guessing myself all summer. It's been well over 90° with high humidity for 2 weeks now and the damn stock gauge keeps telling me everything is normal. Even with the AC. Then I look and see 225° to 235° and think, how can that be normal?? Maybe it just is.

Ira

Back