installed IC fan, it got hot.

adisont

Well after reading many post looking for a way to keep my car cool with the ac on. i decieded on an ic fan. main to keep air moving throught the condensor at stoplights. well, the fan got to hot and stopped working. i had it mounted behind the ic. I gotten a new one and it's now mounted in from of the condensor on the ic side. anyone had this happen?. my car seems way to hot. anyone have any ideas on getting the heat out of the engine bay?

What do you mean by your car "seems way to hot"? Can you quantify this? The engine bay will get pretty warm after running it for a while, but that is normal from my experiences. Do you have an engine temp that you are running at?

well, i don't have anyway to tell you the actual temp of the engine. i replaced the sending unit for the eec and the fan doesn't come on til the temp gauge is between the R and m i can unplug the sensor and the fan goes to high. i guess my question is how to get the heat out of the engine bay to avoid heat soak. i thought the ic fan might help to keep the intake air temp down thus bring engine temp down and also keep air flowing throught he condensor on the ic side. i can turn the air off and everything is fine, just don't wanna give it up like I use to to be able to drive the car.

Is the radiator fan working? When the car is hot, is it running on low or high speed?

I don't think the IC fan will help in any way with cooling the motor.

actually i think it will help, when the air is on and sitting in traffic. anyway, the fan is working, the ic fan just got to hot in the engine bay. i moved it to the pusher location in front. just wondered if anyone else had a ic fan fail due to heat? it was a hayden 10". i've got a hayden 12" in front now.

I dont think the IC fan will help keep the core engine temp any cooler either. The real issue is your rad fan. Are the low and high speed windings working good? Search on here about the IRCM and pin 14. It might help you some. Also with your A/C on the fan should be on the whole time regardless of temp, if its not running with the air on, something is wrong there.

ok, the rad fan works fine, both low and high speed, i have cut the 14 wire and connected it to the 17 with a switch. backwashed condeser, flushed radiator. pulled ic flushed inside and out. reconnected, did pressure test for vaccum leaks. my theory is that without air flow through the ic side of the condenser it makes the other 3/4 that much hotter which puts a greater strain on the rad pulling even hotter air through it also the ic will heat soak in traffic due to now air flow. it has to help cool the engine temps down with the air on. my question is has anyone had a ic fan fail due to heat. the ic temp could be alot higher than engine temps. thus the reason for the fan failure.

Back