AOD help

ShawnSC1

I picked up this rebuilt AOD off a parts car, and also had a new torque converter. The car car seems to shift into gear hard, and rmps look like they drop 500rmps. Also when driving a steady speed the car jerks really hard, but I am not able to catch and see if the rmps drop. TV cable looks to be in the same position as my other SC, could be off 2-3 teeth. Could the rear pumpkin have anything to do with this problem. When I take off I get alot of rattling noise coming from the rear middle of the car.

Harsh shifting is generally due to the TV pressure being set incorrectly or possibly a stuck governor. Is the shifting delayed (winding out the RPM's too high before it shifts)? That would suggest the TV cable is too tight. It's best to set it with a gauge, but the "re-install the linkage into the grommet with no-slack" method will get you pretty close. If you swapped the tranny and didn't reset the TV cable, you probably are off on the pressure. As far as the rattling, that could be loose heatshields on the cats, or some other loose/bad exhaust part. (hopefully it ain't the tranny, but if it is you will find out soon enough...)

LJGriggs said:
Harsh shifting is generally due to the TV pressure being set incorrectly or possibly a stuck governor. Is the shifting delayed (winding out the RPM's too high before it shifts)? That would suggest the TV cable is too tight. It's best to set it with a gauge, but the "re-install the linkage into the grommet with no-slack" method will get you pretty close. If you swapped the tranny and didn't reset the TV cable, you probably are off on the pressure. As far as the rattling, that could be loose heatshields on the cats, or some other loose/bad exhaust part. (hopefully it ain't the tranny, but if it is you will find out soon enough...)

I didn't play around with the adjustment on the TV cable and when I installed the new tranny. Now maybe thats why the old AOD went. I don't have a gauge, but saw something on TV cable adjustment on the tech TCCOA board. I will try that out and see what happens. For the exhaust I noticed the center pipe is resting on a cross bracket. Maybe thats where the noice is coming from. I will have to find out what its for. Its not the tranny cross member, its just after it.

Back