So how is the SC in the winter?

Johnny_Squirrel

I just bought my '89 a few days ago for $750 and have been cleaning it up like mad since. About the only thing my father has even said about the car is, "That's going to suck in the winter being a 5 speed AND rear wheel drive."

Considering I drove (and still drive) an '86 Grand Marquis and have gone through two winters with it, I don't know how much worse winter driving could get! I can imagine having problems going uphill from a stop on ice and just sliding, but the Marquis always did that. Plus, it didn't have anti-lock brakes so it was even worse.

Anyway, has anyone had a really bad time in the winter with their SC?

Also, just as a side note, I got pretty lucky with this SC. With the car sitting in the same spot for over a year and a half, the only spot that needs somewhat serious attention is a small body rot area under the car. I thought it was the subframe at first, but then I noticed it was part of the floor panel (the wider part that juts down near the door). The only reason that happened was because the front left tire was deflated for a long time.

I have had my 94 for a year and last winter was my first winter with it. I am in NJ so we didnt get a lot of snow here but we got some and i had fun with the SC in it. The only time i slid was when i gunned it off the line and the back end started sliding out. Just thought i would let ya know the SC is no diff then any other car in the snow if u ask me.

Jayson

Make sure that you have FOUR perfromance winter tires on the car, either 225-60-16 on the stock wheels, or get some regular T-Bird 15" wheels and go with 215-70-15. This way you will be able to get going, AND stop and turn as well. Otherwise your front will be going all over the place, and your ABS will be freaking out because the rear tires have way more grip than the fronts. Three years with my lowered 95 5-speed, the only time I got stuck was when I had to stop in an unplowed lot with about 8" of snow. Expect the back to slide around a bit on initial acceleration as Jayson said, but you can short-shift at 1000 to 1200 rpm into 2nd, or even start off in 2nd to control the wheelspin. You need to pay attention with this, but you should be while driving in the winter anyway !!

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

It depends a lot on climate. We get a lot of wet snow here in OK (high humidity), which is an absolute bear to drive on. Occasionally we'll get a dry snow, which is easier, but still no picnic. For me, tires have been the biggest issue. I replaced my all-season Firestones with a set of high-performance Yokohamas and my snow traction went out the window. Fortunately our snowfalls tend to be heavy but short-lived and get cleared quickly from the roadways.

The upshot to winter is the extra power from cold, dry (relatively) air running through the intake and over the intercooler. My car is at least 1.5 sec quicker in January than July.

Ummm, I had 4 performance winter tires on my spare 15's last year and I got stuck on level ground in an inch of snow, hehe.

Good thing that was the one nite I had it in the snow ever, it went back to hibernation after that.

I had my '89 in Buffalo NY for over 10 years.
You must have a good set of snow tires on the rear.
Plan ahead when your driving in the snow and try to always keep it moving, especially when approaching a hill.
No sense in sugar coating it, this car sucks in the snow.
It is a real challenge sometimes.

You bought a Ford Super Coupe not a Ford F150 so have fun with it. Ive had like 5 of them and i fish tail all over the place when there is snow out there. just make sure you know how to control the power of the car. Anyway. Good Luck

The worst car I have ever had in the snow. Worse than the '88 stang 5.0 and much worse than the '96 Camaro SS. I didn't have winter tires on any of them.

Still lots of fun though, and more so when its snowing:D :cool: (I have my fun whipping figure 8's in vacant parking lots lol)

P.S. throw some sand bags or something REALLY heavy in the trunk, ( A heavy box and a bunch of heavy subs does wonders lol)

Last edited:
Back