Help! Are all SC throttle cables the same??

pablon2

I broke my throttle cable while trying to adjust the slack out of it (long story). Now I need a replacement. My question is, are all throttle cables (gas pedal to TB) the same? I have a '93 AOD SC. [edit, I checked with Ford just now and they said the '93 is listed as having a unique cable, of course it is obsolete, but unique.] Also, there is a small plastic bullet-shaped "boot" that holds the cable in the top of the accelerator pedal. How am I gonna fit that through the hole in the firewall if I try to do a direct swap with a replacement cable?

Lastly, when the cable broke, it slammed the TB shut and now the butterfly won't move. I removed all cables from the TB to see if they were kinked and holding it shut, but they are not the problem. So, now the TB is stuck in the closed position. Could it have messed up the TPS and that is what is preventing the TB from opening?

Last edited:
Been there, done that, spent 6 weeks or so looking for the right cable. And don't listen to a word Ford or its parts people say. They just do not know.

if I can get a picture of which cable you have, I might be able to give you line on one. Heck, I might even have it here in the pile of extras I accumulated whilre trying to find mine.

You have a PM.

Ira

irar said:
Been there, done that, spent 6 weeks or so looking for the right cable. And don't listen to a word Ford or its parts people say. They just do not know.

if I can get a picture of which cable you have, I might be able to give you line on one. Heck, I might even have it here in the pile of extras I accumulated whilre trying to find mine.

You have a PM.

Ira

Thanks, pics to follow this eve. :) Pics sent via PM.

Last edited:
irar said:

You have a PM.

Ira

What's the difference in the cables?

-Melon

CougarXR/7 said:
Is there a difference from year to year or auto - manual?

I still don't know. I have been told yes, and I have been told no. You'd think this question is one worthy of attention as it is THE ULTIMATE GO FAST PART!!! :D :) :D :rolleyes:

Well, I can only tell you about my experience, so here's the scoop right from someone who just spent 6 weeks looking for one. First off, Ford doesn't know. At least not the 5 dealers I spoke with. Ed was able to provide me with a part number, but it turns out that it is listed wrong in the books. Either that, or the people I spoke with didn't have that part and tried to send me something else claiming that number just to make the sale.

Secondly, there are two different types. They claim to be different because of the manual or automatic transmission, but I did not see that. It was almost catch as catch can, because I saw two different types, with both being used regardless of training. Again, they may have been previously swapped out, I don't know that.

The two types you need to be concerned about are because of the fire wall. The early models >92, have a one piece plastic "snap in" connector that does just that; it snaps into the hole in the firewall.

The late models, 93> have a flatter plastic piece that fits into the firewall and is held in place with I think it's an 8mm bolt. Both cables have the same connection for the pedal.

However, I cannot gaurentee that early model/late model type has a clear cutoff in 92, because I have seen 93's use both types. I do know the one on my 92 was not the same as the one I needed for the 94.

One last thing. The end that connects to the throttle body also comes in different versions, but I believe that has more to do with whether or not the cable is from a SC or an LX. I cannot be sure of this, because the first one I found the guy swore was out of a SC, but there was no way to connect it to the TB. It was just a cable. The next one ended up having the cylindrical cover over the cable that attaches to the TB, but even then I needed to "adapt" the snap just a bit with a pair of plyers.

So there you have it. Yes, they make more then one type. No, it doesn't seem to matter if you have a manual or automatic, and yes, it probably needs to come directly out of the same model year.

Now, YMMV if you find a complete parts car or an honest auto parts guy who is not just looking to sell a part for $25.00. I however, was not able to. Good luck in your search.

Ira

pablon2 said:
I still don't know. I have been told yes, and I have been told no. You'd think this question is one worthy of attention as it is THE ULTIMATE GO FAST PART!!! :D :) :D :rolleyes:
You do not really know yet how true this statment is! No cable, no go. Literally. I know I spoke with Rod and Wynn and SW and many junk yards and no one had anything I could use.

I think Wynn said somethin about hoarding them putting them up on a shelf somewhere safe because in about 10 years they will be worth 10 times their wieght in gold! :p :D

Ira

irar said:
You do not really know yet how true this statment is! No cable, no go. Literally. I know I spoke with Rod and Wynn and SW and many junk yards and no one had anything I could use.

I think Wynn said somethin about hoarding them putting them up on a shelf somewhere safe because in about 10 years they will be worth 10 times their wieght in gold! :p :D

Ira
just runa string through the dash and pull on it to vary throttle :D

pablon2 said:
I did, but it keeps breaking. :D
More chewing gum. Seriously though, I wish you luck man. I spent weeks looking for the right one and I can tell you I had visions of a brandy new looking show car forever stuck in the driveway never to be run again.

Just keep looking. You will find it somewhere. My major disadvantage was not having any reliable (read even half way honest because it almost didn't matter after a while) or even decent junk yards near me that had a parts car.

Just make sure to send pictures and give very clear descriptions whenever possible or you will end up with a pile of cables you can't use. I have some of those if you need but was pretty fortunate that just about everyone who sent me the wrong one took it back.

Ira

Back