Interesting electrical problem...

Johnny_Squirrel

Ok, so I just bought my '89 SC a few days ago and have been cleaning it up since. I have noticed a few small electrical problems that while not serious, are just enough to piss someone off.

First of all, lifting the door handles does not trigger the automatic light relay for the interior lights. After opening either doors the interior lights are still off. The lights under the rearview mirror also do not come on. Now, when I turn the interior lights on via the headlight dial I can then switch on and off the lights on the mirror and all of the interior lights come on. As an added part of the problem, if I turn the headlights on and open the door, the warning dinger doesn't sound, but if I turn the interior lights on again with the headlights on the warning sounds.

It's pretty wierd, and I can't figure out if it's a blown fuse or just simple wiring problem.

I have a few more minor quirks too. One being the power mirrors don't work (whoop-dee-doo), and the other being with the anti-lock brakes. When starting the car it cycles like it should and then shuts off. But sometimes after backing up or coming to a stop I'll feel the pump come on and I can feel a slight vibration in the brake pedal.

Keep in mind this car sat for a year and a half straight, so I'm not sure if a sensor is toast or what.

Any help is appreciated. And by the way, this car is in darn good shape for sitting that long.

JS, howdy from down in Texas, glad to see a new SC'r. Not sure about the interior light thing, could be a malfunctioning doorjamb switch or a relay. As soon as you can, get a copy of the EVTM book for your car. It's a fantastic resource for wiring schematics etc.

On the brakes, my guess is the accumulator is bleeding off & is cycling to keep pressure. From posts on these boards it seems to be a fairly common part that goes bad on SC's.

You've got your work cut out for ya, not sure what those Northern winters do to a sittin' car but down here (upper Texas coast) the salt air can play havoc on anything that doesn't get used on a regular basis. Good luck and congrats again on gettin' that SC.

'bird

Back