firm ride problem

T-Tough

So my brothers 1993 supercoupe that he bought a while back is having a problem with its firm ride. He was told by someone that something in his brake line or master cylinder could be leaking and this might cause a problem since the firm ride activates under hard braking. I am not sure if this could even cause the problem but the guy claims that if anything that makes the firm ride come on (braking, hard cornering, acceleration, etc...as you all know) fails then it makes the firm ride will stop working. So yea...we looked under the hood and this little white plastic thing seems to be leaking, it is located under the master cylinder. Anyone have any clue what its for? The guy claimed it was the actuater for the firm ride. any help or knowledge about this would be appreciated...anyone else having firm ride problems? the light blinks when you set it to firm ride...

here is a photo of the thing under the hood

7ec1re2.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see the pic, but from what you describe that is exactly what that part is. How many times does the light blink?

do you know what it is actually calleD? or where i could get one? once we get that fixed we can see if that is the cause of the firm ride problem or not...and i think i fixed the link

ok turns out it through a code for the drivers side rear actuator...is this actually part of the shock? can it be fixed? can you buy a new one? lol i need to know!

It is called a brake sensor switch. Ford has discontinued them, but I believe that you can find them somewhere else. Do a search and see what you can come up with. The shock actuators can be found used, I don't know if they can be found new.

damn you ford!!! the word discontinued is a nightmare...but thank you so much for the info man, i will have to check around for that stuff

Yea, it sucks that they have discontinued so many parts. I guess it is a bean counting issue. Sometimes you can still find a dealer that has the old parts sitting on a shelf that would be glad to get rid of them. Just like the shifter knobs for the 5 speeds. Someone found a few of them at dealers and then sold them on ebay for some crazy money.

T-Tough said:
ok turns out it through a code for the drivers side rear actuator...is this actually part of the shock? can it be fixed? can you buy a new one? lol i need to know!

Post a wanted ad in our classifieds. I'm sure someone has one. The actuator is in the trunk on top of the shock tower. I would put my money that its actually the shock that needs replaced though.

Obsolete parts source

Millenium Ford in WA state (www.y2kford.com) has found some obsolete parts for my '92 SC, including dipstick, belt tensioner, etc. Click on Parts department,order parts - will take you to another site - or you can email manager Ed. He even emailed me some exploded parts diagrams when I had questions about a part or two.
Hope this helps, and good luck!
Dennis

Back