Engine refresher

Douglas Walker

I was wondering what everyones opinion was on just doing HG's and main bearings. Instead of a complete overhaul.

I have a 89 engine with 150000miles and it runs great. But has a slight bearing noise around 2500rpm. Oil pressure is good. I rebuilt one, 2 years ago and bored it but there was hardly any cylinder wear but it was over the specs for roundness. It was around the same mileage. Im just looking to put a completely stock motor in no mods for a daily driver.

Would it be worth cutting corners or should i do a complete rebuild.

This all depends on what kind of lip is at the top of the cylinder..

One other question, how do u tell which crank it has? And which one is it u dont want? Thinking it was the cast one

Doug

If the Vin# is "R" then it's a forged crank.

Check compression before doing anything else if the motor runs. If the motor doesn't run then inspect the walls for wear as you said.

If the cylinders are in good shape then I say do it. I've done that quite a few times (bearings and gaskets) and no complaints. You don't even have to pull the crank or balancer.

Whats the minimum you would go with compression before doing a complete tear down. Also would it be worth pulling the crank to get it polished or just do the bearing swap?

Back