Heat Shields for Kooks Headers

sd_iconoclast

Has anyone out there made heat shields for kooks headers?
My intention is to prevent heat transfer to the intercooler pipes on the driver side and to prevent heat transfer to the intake on the passenger side.
Before I go and make some, I just wanted to see if anyone has done it before me.

I personally have never experimented with this, and i'm not trying to discourage you. However, from reading stuff on the boards it seems that the difference made by minimizing heat transfer is negligible. The air is moving through the lower intake tube so quickly (because of the relatively small cross section) that it really doesn't have time to pick up much heat.

91supacoop said:
I personally have never experimented with this, and i'm not trying to discourage you. However, from reading stuff on the boards it seems that the difference made by minimizing heat transfer is negligible. The air is moving through the lower intake tube so quickly (because of the relatively small cross section) that it really doesn't have time to pick up much heat.

I will argue that point.

I have my exhaust manifolds wrapped as well as my lower IC tube jet hot coated and header wrapped.

When the SC is cold, and you ran it down the track, it obviously wouldn't add anything to that. However, on repeated runs, the consitancy is there much more. The lower IC tube used to get heat soaked and I'd have to wait a significant amount of time for it to cool down. Now everything is cool in less than 1/2 the time it was before.

So it may not add anything "peak," but it certainly does improve the function of the SC on prolonged driving/city driving or back to back type runs at the track.

no good experiences

Never have had good experiences with the header wrapping. Seems to always rust/corrode the header way before the life of the header should be. I guess it could be due to moisture staying on the header from hot/cold cycling and the wrap holding it in. Plus it looks like crap when on......:)

I wrapped my hooks headers with 2" exhaust wrap. Some people say this can cause the headers to prematurely rust out, but I haven't had a problem...plus my headers are coated. Anyway, it's easier to wrap the headers if you dip the wrap in water prior to wrapping. Then let drive and finally coat with header wrap paint.

I also wrapped my lower IC tube, but I cannot confirm nor deny that it might have helped.

Back