How to disassemble outer CV joint?

Speeddog

I tried a search, but didn't have much luck.

It *appears* that I need to remove the sheetmetal ring that the boot clamps onto, but I wanted to make sure before I went down that road.

CV Axles

Hey! I'm up to the same thing on my 'bird. The outer CV joint is not servicable. The only thing you can do is clean it out and pack it with new grease or get a rebuilt half shaft. If your old CV boot is still good, you can just buy new straps and grease to re pack the joint. The inner joints can be disassembeld. They are similar to a regular u-joint.

If your outer joint is shot, you need to get a rebuilt shaft.

RockAuto.com carries the correct larger diameter CV halfshafts for the Super Coupe.

Per a conversation with the Factory Five guys (Cobra replicar) who use the SC IRS, holding the halfshaft and a healthy hit with a hammer and drift on the center 'knuckle' will get the outer CV off of the halfshaft.

I'll likely try it this weekend.

At that point, one should be able to rotate the knuckle far enough to pop the balls out of the CV for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

Speeddog, You building a FFR Cobra?

Speeddog said:
Per a conversation with the Factory Five guys (Cobra replicar) who use the SC IRS, holding the halfshaft and a healthy hit with a hammer and drift on the center 'knuckle' will get the outer CV off of the halfshaft.

I'll likely try it this weekend.

At that point, one should be able to rotate the knuckle far enough to pop the balls out of the CV for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

Just Curious. I'm actually only a few months away from ordering a Type 65 Coupe kit. I just ordered the manual from FFR and just made a deal to by an entire IRS from someone on this site to use in the build. I know that they supply shortened axles made to mate to the CV's from the stock half shafts, so they have to come off the old axles.

Daspanka

No, actually, I'm building a '53 Studebaker Starliner hotrod...:cool:

I like the SC IRS, but need shorter axles, and need to know how long the stockers are before I can choose.

Back