PDA

View Full Version : Ford says we dont work on SCs to hard

PETEp
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
:p Took my still skiping SC to the Ford dealer, They told me they don`t work on SC any more to hard. I just wanted to see if they could check the cam sensor. I am going to change the gas filter and the cam sensor next . I was looking for some advice. He told me that I will never fix the car every day there will be something new to make it run bad and I should buy a new Mustang. I don`t think so!

Kevin Varnes
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a typical Ford dealer to me. What issues are you having with the car?

midgetchaser
08-08-2006, 05:16 PM
yea i got the same response. and they told me they refuse to work on it.

ThunderDave
08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
He sounds like he's looking to make a commission on selling a new Stang.

sail7seas
08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
FORD sold me a 4 wire A/C sensor, when I was looking for a 2 wire Hi Side Pressure Switch for a Crown Victoria.
I showed FORD the wiring diagram, which showed a two wire sensor, they said the drawing is wrong, and I received the right part, and since I opened the plastic bag, I am stuck with the part, I can not return it.

PETEp
08-08-2006, 05:51 PM
It starts bucking skiping after I drive 15 20 min if I turn it off and re start it it runs better but the tac stays at 0. when the tac comes back so does the skiping bucking. The SCCoA board has given me lots of help I just have to get my but in gear and try to fix it . I dont drive it every day its a garage queen. Maybe I should take it out and beat the sh!!! out of it:confused:

midgetchaser
08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
cam sensor?

rickbtbird
08-08-2006, 06:04 PM
:p Took my still skiping SC to the Ford dealer, They told me they don`t work on SC any more to hard. I just wanted to see if they could check the cam sensor. I am going to change the gas filter and the cam sensor next . I was looking for some advice. He told me that I will never fix the car every day there will be something new to make it run bad and I should buy a new Mustang. I don`t think so!
Who did you talk to there, a saleman? Most places don't work on Super Coupes motors because they can't fix them in the first place but, they will charge you an arm and a leg to tell you they can't. I've had the best luck when I new what the problem was going in.

shotbirdsc
08-08-2006, 06:15 PM
It starts bucking skiping after I drive 15 20 min if I turn it off and re start it it runs better but the tac stays at 0

I had a similar problem to this in a SHO that I had, and I replaced the cam sensor and it did the same thing still acted up. So I took off the DIS module(also responsible for tach) and reapplied the heat sink to the bottom of it after that it fixed the problem. The heat sink under the dis dries out and once the engine/dis heats up it starts to go erratic.

Its worth a try. Heat sink compund can be bought at your local computer shop.

Burbank95sc
08-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I had a similar story at Ford dealer when I asked them If they can change the SC fluid.There was only one mechanic which knew how to do it.I was laughing my a$$ off when a mechanic and a sales guy came by me asking.....how much did I pay for 5-speed conversion and who did that kind of job because looks like came from factory.

thirdbird
08-08-2006, 07:43 PM

Only thing dealers are good for is target practice:D:D:D

midgetchaser
08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Only thing dealers are good for is target practice:D:D:D

and making fun of:D

phyxius
08-08-2006, 09:48 PM
when the local dealer gets a cougar or t-bird they send the people to me to get fixed.thats nice of them but not a good showing on thier part send work to a backyard mechanic to fix things.

ThunderDave
08-09-2006, 05:21 AM
since I opened the plastic bag, I am stuck with the part, I can not return it.

It's an SC, sooner or later you are going to need it. :eek: :D ;)

trife86
08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Usually i dont have a problem finding a shop to work on mine. I Usuall get outta them. Ah teh supercoupe that car was awsome 10 years ago lol

08-09-2006, 03:27 PM
It starts bucking skiping after I drive 15 20 min if I turn it off and re start it it runs better but the tac stays at 0. when the tac comes back so does the skiping bucking. The SCCoA board has given me lots of help I just have to get my but in gear and try to fix it . I dont drive it every day its a garage queen. Maybe I should take it out and beat the sh!!! out of it:confused:

My 89 did the same thing, I replaced the cam sensor. 35 or 40 bux for the sensor, and a little under 15 mins to change. 5.5mm socket needed.

I would also reapply heatsink grease to the DIS.

Stephen

tbirdaj
08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
same thing with me ended up being the DIS module

S_Mazza
09-01-2006, 11:35 AM
I would agree that the DIS module is the first thing I would check. (Not the coil pack, but the little gray ignition module).

Payton
09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Cam sensor

kevenj90sc
09-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Cam sensor

what he said.

Good part is the cam sensor is easy to change. In fact it is the ONLY part on an SC that's easy to change! :)

tbirdaj
09-02-2006, 01:22 AM
The DIS is very easy to change

thundermax
09-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Ford refused to work on my sc due to age and excesive wear. They told me I had a rod knock but it turned out to be a plastic piece was rubbing against crank pulley. From that point I did all the work on sc myself. BTW cam sensor is easy to change, all you do is take off two bolts and install a new one, should take you 20 min.

Brando B
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Can we add spacers between the DIS module and the plate it mounts to so the module doesn't get so hot?

Thanks,
Brando

garsc
09-03-2006, 01:00 PM
I bought a 91 SC from a fellow with more money than sense he took it to a Ford dealer because the brakes went out { no power assist} they told him he needed an ABS computer and an ABS master cylinder unit. They also told him these parts were no longer available and they couldnt help him and if they could get the parts it would cost in excess of $1500.00. :confused: I checked it out and found a bad ABS relay put in a used one I had the brakes are perfect.These cars arent profitable for them to mess with and all the technicians who know anything about them are dead, retired or dont want to waste thier time on a 12+ year old car they know most customers wont spend any money on.They are good repair manuals on cd available on Ebay for less than $15.00 get one and kiss the dealers GOODBYE.:) I speak from experience I am one of those techs.

ThunderDave
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I bought a 91 SC from a fellow with more money than sense he took it to a Ford dealer because the brakes went out { no power assist} they told him he needed an ABS computer and an ABS master cylinder unit. They also told him these parts were no longer available and they couldnt help him and if they could get the parts it would cost in excess of $1500.00. :confused: I checked it out and found a bad ABS relay put in a used one I had the brakes are perfect.These cars arent profitable for them to mess with and all the technicians who know anything about them are dead, retired or dont want to waste thier time on a 12+ year old car they know most customers wont spend any money on.They are good repair manuals on cd available on Ebay for less than $15.00 get one and kiss the dealers GOODBYE.:) I speak from experience I am one of those techs.

LOL, that's good stuff. :D ;)

95pearlbird
09-04-2006, 03:17 AM
PUT TOGETHER= These boards and the GREAT people here at SCCOA, along with a good Factory Shop Manual.
Combined, I'm convinced you then have at your fingertips more SC knowledge and know-how than
ALL OF THE FORD DEALERSHIPS IN THE COUNTRY!!
All you have to do then, is be willing to work on it yourself.

Thank You Tech Above> for the honest truth. When a tech himself, tells you to kiss the dealership goodbye, listen to the voice of experience.
As with the case above, they just want to sell you a bunch of expensive parts that.... they can't get. They're still happy to grill you for the diagnosis, however.... and for that, they get from me the hawaiian peace sign, not a kiss....
So if you still want to spend money to receive a bunch of frustration, please PM me right away. Send me the $$$, and I'll send you a Thank You Note, and you won't feel any frustration at all...
That is, until you pop the hood again.... LOL

Seriously, a big huge THANK YOU to each and every member and non-member on here for your constant advice, patience, and knowledge, and for helping people which you may have never even met, but share a single common bond with... the love of a great car.... That's what I call a COOL Brotherhood!
Owning an SC (or XR7) is much more Fun because of ALL of YOU!
Wishing you MILES of FUN! :cool:

coupeCorona
09-04-2006, 01:45 PM
when i first bought my coupe i had little expirance with all the electronics and all the parts on these cars. well three coupes later and 4 head gaskets set and 1 motor swap later it is like riding a bike. i went to the dealer with my first coupe(89) and they said 1700 plus if anything else was needed, right!!!

it took me a while for the frist HG replacement and now it is nothing. they said it would take three days at constant work to get that kind of job done! i tell everyone that is going to buy a coupe, please have alittle machincal sence.

and i also say thanks to all of you that has giving me help over the years of being on here!!!!!!!!!!!!

S_Mazza
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Can we add spacers between the DIS module and the plate it mounts to so the module doesn't get so hot?

Thanks,
Brando

Actually, it seems that the plate tends to draw heat away from the module, which gets really hot in operation. So you actually want to encourage heat transfer at that point, not insulate it.

CSSC1990
11-29-2006, 10:21 PM
The repair came down to the alternator. Yes, the alternator.

You might want to check it out. My guess is that since the car takes so much power to run the injectors and other major functions, the alternator has to produce its design amperage.

One week later the replacement alternator bit the dust. Remanufactured quality. My saving grace is that I didn't pay for either. I had replaced the original back in 1995 and still had the receipt. :)

PROBLEMS......

The tach would work sometimes and drop to zero in an instant. When it would drop the engine would start doing flips and kicking like a mule. I would not have thought to check the alternator at first. Being this was my only mode of transportation and I drive an hour one way to work, I didn't have much time between trips to work on it. Several days of not knowing if I was going to get to work or not, I had the battery light come on.

meatball
11-29-2006, 10:51 PM
I've sworn off dealers off all likes. I hate commission. They only fix cars so they have a 'one-stop shop'. I've had great luck with pep boys, the best thing you can do is know your mechanic personally, and talk with him, not someone else, who will talk to one guy, who will tell the mechanic what you want. If you cant do that, then work on it yourself. Pep boys has been great for little stuff not worth learning on other cars. The SC I work on all aspects.

TbirdSCFan
11-30-2006, 12:47 PM
:p Took my still skiping SC to the Ford dealer, They told me they don`t work on SC any more to hard. I just wanted to see if they could check the cam sensor. I am going to change the gas filter and the cam sensor next . I was looking for some advice. He told me that I will never fix the car every day there will be something new to make it run bad and I should buy a new Mustang. I don`t think so!LOL!.. but of course. ;) No, even though it may seem like it, the reality is that SC isn't any harder to work on than any other modern vehicle. However, the more of a certain type of car they work on the better and faster they are at it.

On the comment about something else going wrong... If the vehicle has been maintained, it is absolutely reliable... I have 218K on the odometer... I would drive it across the state at a moments notice w/o any tools in the trunk. :cool: :cool:

TbirdSCFan
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
It starts bucking skiping after I drive 15 20 min if I turn it off and re start it it runs better but the tac stays at 0. when the tac comes back so does the skiping bucking. The SCCoA board has given me lots of help I just have to get my but in gear and try to fix it . I dont drive it every day its a garage queen. Maybe I should take it out and beat the sh!!! out of it:confused: Just unplug it until you get it fixed.. really! The car will run fine but may take a few tries (key off between tries) to get it started. It will throw a code, but otherwise will run just fine. :cool:

92sclikenew
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
wow man you trust your sc to much. lol;) :D

TbirdSCFan
11-30-2006, 12:53 PM
they told him he needed an ABS computer and an ABS master cylinder unit. They also told him these parts were no longer available and they couldnt help him and if they could get the parts it would cost in excess of $1500.00. :confused: Shhhhhh!.. Don't let this little secret out.. how do you think people like me get such fantastic deals on used Supercoupes?? :D :D

darkstar_one
11-30-2006, 03:08 PM
The repair came down to the alternator. Yes, the alternator.

You might want to check it out. My guess is that since the car takes so much power to run the injectors and other major functions, the alternator has to produce its design amperage.

One week later the replacement alternator bit the dust. Remanufactured quality. My saving grace is that I didn't pay for either. I had replaced the original back in 1995 and still had the receipt. :)

PROBLEMS......

The tach would work sometimes and drop to zero in an instant. When it would drop the engine would start doing flips and kicking like a mule. I would not have thought to check the alternator at first. Being this was my only mode of transportation and I drive an hour one way to work, I didn't have much time between trips to work on it. Several days of not knowing if I was going to get to work or not, I had the battery light come on.

this guy brings up a good point!, on mines it would do the same thing.... it would skip a beat for a couple of days.... i replaced the cam sensor and it fixed it for a lil bit, but then it came back.... and i was on my way to picking up my girl 2 weeks ago, and i get a BATTERY LITE, good thing we didnt really go anywhere, when i finally got home car wouldnt crank over, the alternator was dead, replaced it with the one from my parts car, and it worked! have you also replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires.... ?

Scott Long
11-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Usually when a cam sensor dies, it is done. The intermittent tach and only running like ~~~ when it's hot is a classic DIS module symptom.

I had a cam sensor die on me and the car stalled. It took a few tries to get it to start again, and it ran fine, with no tach. I mean it ran fine. Boost, tire chirping shifts, etc... no tach.

Once you shut it off you had to try 3 or 4 times of cranking it till it guessed the proper firing order. It will attempt firing the cylinders in a certain order starting with a different one each time. When it guesses right the car runs fine. I drove it like that for a week till my part arrived. Changed the sensor in the parking lot of Advance Auto Parts with their borrowed tools. Just pull the SC belt off and its like two 8mm or 10mm bolts. Simple job if you can fit your hands in there. Otherwise pull the blower if you have too which takes a few more minutes, but it's still simple.

DIS Module is about $100.00 at a parts store. I think they call it Ignition Control Module or something like that. I had one go out on my 5-speed it felt like it was running on 3-4 cylinders and the tach wouldn't read. I changed it and it ran fine.

I have owned SC's so long I remember when there was a DIS shortage, no aftermarket ones were made and Ford DIScontinued them. Those were the good old days.....

Oh and for the record if you had to have the ABS unit replaced by ford $1500 isn't that far off.

I got called one day at home by an ASE Master Tech from the Ford dealership to ask me to help him find some parts for an SC he was working on. He has done work for me and a few other SC guys near me. And he knew I am like the SC guru of the area. So he had me find him some stuff aftermarket because OEM was discontinued. My mom thought it was funny that the Ford dealership called me (when I still lived at home) to ask about an SC.

If the cam sensor is bad, the car will be hard to start. If the DIS is bad it will start fine and when warmed up run like its losing half it's cylinders and tach signal will be intermittent. If the crank sensor is bad, the car will run fine till it gets warm and then stall out and not restart until it has cooled down about 15 to 20 minutes and then run fine till it warms back up.