supercharger belt keeps on slipping off

x182dan

I just had to replace the supercharger seal and now the belt keeps on slipping off. What could it be? I thought the pulley might not be on all the way but it won't budge at all to go in any more. If I pull up on the belt the tensioner pulls up with the belt. Does that mean the tensioner is shot? On startup the belt seems to stay on but if I rev it then the from the motor moving up and down the belt slides off.

Sounds like to me one of the pullies is no longer aligned correctly?

Or maybe your tensioner is shot.

90coug said:
Sounds like to me one of the pullies is no longer aligned correctly?

Or maybe your tensioner is shot.

Yup.. I agree on the alignment problem. If it were the belt or the tensioner I think it would just slip. I put a steel tensioner on mine for added support because I did the 10% blower pulley.

How old is the belt? Some of the ribs could be wore off and allowing the belt to walk off? Or perhaps it's gotten stretched out enough?

If the tensioner spring is shot, I'd upgrade to a set from Magnum Powers to help with slippage later.

-Melon

I had the same problem and it was the power steering pully as I didnt notice that it was slowly walking off.I got the tool to remove or to put back on and I corrected the problem and have never had that problem again.The first and easiest thing would be to check the tensioners though and eliminate that.

well I think the tensioner is not to strong because if I pull up on the belt the tensioner comes up with it so its not putting a crazy amount of stress on the belt

Dan,
Mine requires a breaker bar to remove the belt, but I can move the tensioner by hand with the belt. What side of the blower does the belt come off on, inside or outside?

You got possible three things here.
  • worn belt, sucks but you'll have to remove all three! replace your belts if they show signs of age, wear, or cracks.
  • missaligned pulley. There's only two and one isn't the water pump. I recommend that you check the blower and idler alignments.
  • broken tensioner, I guess that's possible but the least likely.

A tensioner doesn't keep the belt in alighnment, it just keeps the belt tight. Belts self align based on the alignment of the pullies.

You should pull that snout pulley off then make sure you have it on there properly. perhaps the key is holding it up? Try sticking the pulley into a stove and get it up to like 250. then use mits to stick it back on. That'll make it easier to install.

Mike8675309 said:
A tensioner doesn't keep the belt in alighnment, it just keeps the belt tight. Belts self align based on the alignment of the pullies.

You should pull that snout pulley off then make sure you have it on there properly. perhaps the key is holding it up? Try sticking the pulley into a stove and get it up to like 250. then use mits to stick it back on. That'll make it easier to install.
If I remember correctly the pulley nut should go on with one and no more then two threads exposed.
Here's something I published about a year ago.
Blower Snout Seal Replacement

Last edited:
ok so it was the damn pulley i put the stocker on and its good as new. I only had to remove the ac belt to get the sc belt off

x182dan said:
ok so it was the damn pulley i put the stocker on and its good as new. I only had to remove the ac belt to get the sc belt off

Is it possible the new pulley was on backwards ?

David

Is it possible that maybe the pulley you took off got warped by the removal of it?

Was it an aluminum pulley? Im pretty sure these are more prone to warp with removal.

Just a couple more options for ya.

littleboylan said:
Is it possible that maybe the pulley you took off got warped by the removal of it?

Was it an aluminum pulley? Im pretty sure these are more prone to warp with removal.

Just a couple more options for ya.
Very true. I've seen them bend even if your real carful.

Back