m5r2 to 5.0 v8 swap

vettete

I know this must have been posted multiple times before, but i cant find anything complete when searching, so please bear with me.
I have aquired a complete drivetrain from a 89 XR7 that im thinking of restomodding into an early mustang. Im thinking the trans will bolt up to a small block (5.0, ect) but I was wondering what specific parts are needed to bolt it up to the engine? The rest of the conversion ill have to make.
So basically: What flyweel, clutch, pressure plate, ect will work with a small block crank? I heard something about a 167 tooth flywheel, but I could be wrong. Also does anyone have eny links to someone that have may already done this type of swap in a tbird or cougar?
thanks for your time! Sorry for the redundancy
vettetek

The early style SBF used a 164 tooth flywheel which is the same as the SC. I believe it was the 5.0's and that used the smaller 157 tooth flywheel. Anyway, you need the matching flywheel for your motor (not all SBF's have the same imbalance) in the 164 tooth configuration. Then for the starter I'm not sure if the OE starter for your car will work or not. I guess try it. I know the 88-96 F150 5.0 5spd starter is a direct bolt in. Then just use an SC clutch and you're done. Well, and you'll have to convert to the SC style hydraulic clutch system.

Dave, Thanks for the reply. I appreciate all the help. I thought I read somewhere that a early 90s f150 flywheel would work. Im not sure - thats why I asked. Has anyone here actually done a swap of a v8 in front of this trans in their 'bird?
~V

Yes, I've done a couple. With these we are dealing with an HO motor so we're talking about a 50oz imbalance flywheel. An early SBF would be 28oz so make sure you have the right flywheel. I bought an aluminum one from TMD for like $280 or so and an F150 starter from the junkyard. Worked slick because the aftermarket flywheel comes with removable weights so you just attach the one you need.

So, then you use the factory SC disc? Does the pressure plate work as well or do you have to use an older one? Also, Im on the fence - I may have access to a 351 w - if I do get that - does that use the early wtyle flywheel as well? _ sorry - im not to versed on fords yet.
Thanks for your time
V~

Dave do you happen to have a link or part number for the TMD aluminum flywheel?

vettete, I'd post pics of my 5.0L swap progress but putfile is being extremely gay and lost some of my pics :mad:

Shane

IRS in an early 'stang

There's a company called "Control Freak" that makes a cage that will bolt an IRS (I'm assuming a TBird) up to '65 - '72 Mustangs. I looked first hand at one at The Year One gathering at Road Atlanta this year. The one in the PIC has a Cobra IRS. I can't imagine that they won't work with the T-Bird IRS, since there are 10 times the units available than cobras. Here's a pic. Just google "Control Freak suspension".

Last edited:
Daspanka said:
There's a company called "Control Freak" that makes a cage that will bolt an IRS (I'm assuming a TBird) up to '65 - '72 Mustangs. I looked first hand at one at The Year One gathering at Road Atlanta this year. The one in the PIC has a Cobra IRS. I can't imagine that they won't work with the T-Bird IRS, since there are 10 times the units available than cobras. Here's a pic. Just google "Control Freak suspension".

That would be bad azz! I can see it now, 69/70 Boss 302 with IRS racing in vintage TransAM races.

Shane

Back