Whistling in vacuum under load

Tony8470

This is a wierd one for me. The car is whistling almost like it has a turbo between 10 vacuum and 0. The car gets 16 lbs of boost, with 10% OD and coated rotors. I tried pulling a vacuum line to see if maybe it was a similar sound, but it wasnt. This has got me stumped like no other. It only whistles in that range while driving. I can blip the throttle when its parked and it won't make the noise. The car runs fine otherwise. But if it's whistling I would assume that it's losing air?

huhm

couldnt be that whistling air intake thing i hear the 3.8 guys on tccoa talk about. other wise youd hear is while revving at a stop.

guess it could be a tire rubbing, or a squeak from the suspension.

my frinds lowered integra gsr is squeaky when driving.
my car whistles with an aftermarket air intake, in the fender, while driving, not idlieng. own a 90 sc.

Bird Calls

Sometimes I can hear a slight whistle at a stop light while in gear. If I put it in neutral it goes away. It's like tweet tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet tweet. It must be the call of the Thunderbird SC.

OMG man...i have EXACTLY the same problem (tweet tweet and all :p ). I just hadn't posted b/c i figure its some type of vac. leak that I would have to check anyways. However, its conforting to know its happening to somebody else.

What have you done recently to the car? In my case the diagnostic seems a bit overwhelming since i did the entire engine...but im thinking that the leak is somewhere around the supercharger components. I plan on checking it sometime starting this weekend.

CaifanSC said:
OMG man...i have EXACTLY the same problem (tweet tweet and all :p ). I just hadn't posted b/c i figure its some type of vac. leak that I would have to check anyways. However, its conforting to know its happening to somebody else.

What have you done recently to the car? In my case the diagnostic seems a bit overwhelming since i did the entire engine...but im thinking that the leak is somewhere around the supercharger components. I plan on checking it sometime starting this weekend.
I don't know, I think it has something to do with removing the air silencer on my car.

yeah

ive taken out the air silencer
put in a newer s/c
cai
and i have no EGR
its not the egr whistling
could only really be the intake. seriously, this has been iscussed on tccoa, different people get different sounds from the new intake.

here it is over at tccoa
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=86126

Last edited:
I had this same problem the first time was a loud whistle and it was the belt slipping on the alt and rubbing against the alternator, and the other time turned out to be a leaking intake gasket after installing a new tensioner and new gaskets I hear no whistling at all.

I experienced whistling after I installed the CAI. It is right about where you are describing it too. Once I get into boost the noise is gone. Also, when you blip the throttle when parked, it may not be that the noise is not there, but you can't actually hear it. I had this too...the whistle is a lot quieter when the engine is not under load. If you want to make sure, just pop the hood and blip the throttle via the throttlebody, that way you can hear it.

-Trey

Treys92 said:
I experienced whistling after I installed the CAI. It is right about where you are describing it too. Once I get into boost the noise is gone. Also, when you blip the throttle when parked, it may not be that the noise is not there, but you can't actually hear it. I had this too...the whistle is a lot quieter when the engine is not under load. If you want to make sure, just pop the hood and blip the throttle via the throttlebody, that way you can hear it.

-Trey

Yup i never heard it before i installed a CAI

I have magnum powers CAI. You think it might be the pcv fitting? Today I noticed it does it up to 5psi too. But only under light load.

Did you notice the whistling after you installed the CAI? Or did it just start randomly after the CAI had been installed for awhile?

i have the same after installing a CAI & removing the air silencer. Mostly just in the beginning (when cold). When enough gas is given, it goes away. but between -10 / 0 you hear it. It's a continous little whistle sound, where the amplitude of the sound is fluctuating in combination of steering and / or giving gas.

When I did my head gaskets I put the CAI on with the rebuild. I noticed a slight whistle at the time. I thought it was the blower. I just put a 70mm bbk on and its pretty loud.

Sounds like the natural whistle you get when you start sucking more air through the CAI. If your car is not running odd/different, it doesn't seem like something to worry about. I noticed the same thing after I put on my 75 mm TB and CAI.

Back