power loss

lon

i have a 92 sc.it has a smaller pully on the charger,full dynomax with headders,3.7.3 gear,built trans,2200 stall,shift kit.i took a friend out for a ride to show him the car.we stopped in the middle of the street and put it to the floor and spun the tires about 2 driveways.going back to his house i did the same thing but it did nothing,no tire spin not even close so i was like w-t-f.got to his house and held the brake and put it to the floor(wot),boost went to 9 psi,2700 rpms and no tire spin.if i put it to the floor doing about 10-20 mph,boost gos to 15 psi and moves like a rocket.20 psi of vac,trans seems fine(not slipping)fuel is good,rear end is good and vac lines are good.has someone had this problem??if so what do i need to do to fix it.no power out of the hole.i checked the oil in the supper charger and its about 3/4 to a inch from the top and i seen a leak in the back,can that be the problem if not what do i need to look for.im not driving it and im going to replace the bearings and gaskits but i want to fix this problem at the same time.Thanks Lon

I would say you were heat soaked. Have you tried it again after letting it cool down? Heat affects hole shots more so than punching it while going 20-30mph I've noticed anyhow. Do you have a puller fan on the IC?

pablon2 said:
I would say you were heat soaked. Have you tried it again after letting it cool down? Heat affects hole shots more so than punching it while going 20-30mph I've noticed anyhow. Do you have a puller fan on the IC?

yup this is one of the main reason way i didnt liek my car. fast as hell when its nice and cold, but as soon as you go out driving for about 20 mins all your power is gone.
i could roast the tires on mine pretty dam good when i first go out. after driving for 20 mins i cant even get to tires to squeel excelerating from a stop going around a corner. pretty dam disapointing i must say.

mybee try installing a Taurus Fan or mybee a New Scooped Hood and cold air intake ?

there is no fan on the ic.it cant be heat,its 62 out side(kind of cool)and its the same way.i think its my supper charger but im not sure.its low on oil and has a leak in the back of it

let the car sit for about 4 hours with the hood up then go drive it again and see if you got your power back. jsut a thought if your wanting to try something before someone else responds to this post :)

lon said:
i wish someone lived by me:(

Maybe you should include where you live in your posts/avatar? Anyhow, the fact you still have "rocket" performance at all indicates it most likely is not the SC especially when you have good boost at 2700RPM. If it were the SC it would be bad in all situations. When you say leak do you mean fluid or air? There shouldn't be any fluid coming from the back of the SC as it is all in the snout. Unless it is engine oil from blow-by sneaking out from where the intake plenum attaches to the SC.

Last edited:
roseville,mi.it might be an intake leak (oil).i guessed it was the charger from the problem im having.if someone has a skype phone number for there pc i can call

lon said:
wow no help

Maybe you broke your Trac-Loc? When you were beating on the car while burning out, was one tire mark darker than the other? How do you know your rear is still good? Did you jack it up and test it?

Spider said:
yup this is one of the main reason way i didnt liek my car. fast as hell when its nice and cold, but as soon as you go out driving for about 20 mins all your power is gone.
i could roast the tires on mine pretty dam good when i first go out. after driving for 20 mins i cant even get to tires to squeel excelerating from a stop going around a corner. pretty dam disapointing i must say.

mybee try installing a Taurus Fan or mybee a New Scooped Hood and cold air intake ?

all that happend was that u were heat soaked. im not stock and i have the same problem. i go out in the morning and i can spin the tires for a good distance. but once the ic is heat soaked i cant even spin them half as long. 62 degrees doesnt mean to much once the IC gets hot. even ifs its cool it still happens sometimes not as much when its cool but it still happens.

sorry missed that part better read all of it next time. it doesnt sound like a blower problem im pretty sure u can run it with no fluid for a while and it will still work its a tough peice of machinery. and its still making boost. so it runs fine just doesnt accererate from a stop or spin the tires like it used to?

if you are overdriving the blower and it works then doesnt it sounds to me like you have a boost leak.
You said you went from 15 psi to 9 psi. Temp differences will lower your boost pressure, but I only hear about # differences like that in the desert places from night to day.
Another less likely thing is a compression leak.
But from 15 to 9 sounds like maybe a crack or leaky ic pipe connection.
I have a rattlebox for an M90 with 200k+ on it, and I still get to 11psi.
check all your conections in the charger, plenums, and ic system.
good luck

paul

thirdbird said:
if you are overdriving the blower and it works then doesnt it sounds to me like you have a boost leak.
You said you went from 15 psi to 9 psi. Temp differences will lower your boost pressure, but I only hear about # differences like that in the desert places from night to day.
Another less likely thing is a compression leak.
But from 15 to 9 sounds like maybe a crack or leaky ic pipe connection.
I have a rattlebox for an M90 with 200k+ on it, and I still get to 11psi.
check all your conections in the charger, plenums, and ic system.
good luck

paul
I LOOKED AND THERE IS A VERRY SMALL LEAK WHERE THE IC TOP GOS ON THE CHARGER.WHEN I PUT MY FINGER OVER IT IT SUCKS AND HISSES,WILL THAT CAUSE THAT MUCH OF A DIFF??.IVE HAD MID 11 AND 12 SEC MUSTANGS AND TRADED MY 86 T-TOPS GT FOR THE T-BIRD AND AND I LOVE IT BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM AND IT HAS ME SOOO MAD LOOKING AT IT IN THE DRIVEWAY LOOKING GOOD AS HELL:(

From my experience with boost leaks, these cars are EXTREMELY picky...
I would be willing to bet that, that has a major impact on performance, but the only real way to know is by removing the top and resealing it.

Let us know what you find out...

Mike

lon said:
I LOOKED AND THERE IS A VERRY SMALL LEAK WHERE THE IC TOP GOS ON THE CHARGER.WHEN I PUT MY FINGER OVER IT IT SUCKS AND HISSES,WILL THAT CAUSE THAT MUCH OF A DIFF??.IVE HAD MID 11 AND 12 SEC MUSTANGS AND TRADED MY 86 T-TOPS GT FOR THE T-BIRD AND AND I LOVE IT BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM AND IT HAS ME SOOO MAD LOOKING AT IT IN THE DRIVEWAY LOOKING GOOD AS HELL:(

yes it will. if theres a small leak at vaccum its gonna multiply as pressure multiplies...
Id go thru all the vacum/boost connections if that were my car...

paul

Back