Hard fault and other codes

Rpdboss

:confused: I just got my car running from a full rebuild. I have a 89 5spd with mostly stock parts. I went to run the diagnostic test with engine running but it only ran like 20 seconds of the test before spitting out these codes. 63 (o & R), 49 C, 98R. I looked for threads on these codes, a little help but nothing on 98 and 49. It smells realy rich and uses a lot of gas, warms up very quick, CEL is on constantly, shift light is on while cranking (dont remember if it did that before) and sometimes takes a long time to finally fire up, other times right on. I cant get the diagnostic mode to run the part where i checks for knock, changes rpms, ect... just a short test then error codes. Runs hard under acceleration but something is missing as far as power, seems slugish to respond to throttle or small movements, tach works, thinking of buying a new TPS and cam sensor but the 98 hard fault present scares me that it might be more..:(

Update : I removed the cam sensor shaft and rotated it 180 degrees, installed it again, started it up, no real difference, but rotate it 15-20 degrees either way and its hard starting to no pops at all. Moved cam sensor back to good position. Checked the TPS for restiance while moving throttle- Nothing moves it. then i tried running the car without it, seems to run better but definately still rich and gassy. Going to get new TPS tomorrow.

Last edited:
Shift light on while cranking points to issues with the crank position sensor. What does your TPS voltage read at throttle closed and WOT? Also are there any voltage spikes or flat spots through the throttle travel?

OK so the distrubitor is bad too

:mad: I took my dist module to the local auto parts store where theyt ran the test 4 times on it with it failing all tests, It still runs the car but i dont know how. So i orfered a new one for $100 and i'm going to get a new tps as I double checked it last night, no voltage sweeps at all, just a low restiance thats constant.

Got my new parts

:) I boought a new dist module and TPS and the old one i discovered had a broken spring return. Going to put them both in tonight and see if that takes care of the problems or opens up other new ones. Cost of both $150

error free

I replaced the tps and the distributor module and now the car is error free. runs through all diagnostic tests flawlessly. still has a slight lifter tick. hoping that will go away.:D

Back