Connecting piping kit to SC

Daspanka

About to pull the trigger on a front mount IC and a piping kit on ebay. Just not sure which path to follow to attach the silicone connectors to the SC and lower intake. I know you can buy raised tops without the nut, but can I just remove the nut from mine? (Budget on the project). And what to do were the lower IC tube attaches. The IC I have chosen and piping kit are 2.5"

I'd be thankfull for any advice.

Daspanka

Daspanka said:
About to pull the trigger on a front mount IC and a piping kit on ebay. Just not sure which path to follow to attach the silicone connectors to the SC and lower intake. I know you can buy raised tops without the nut, but can I just remove the nut from mine? (Budget on the project). And what to do were the lower IC tube attaches. The IC I have chosen and piping kit are 2.5"

I'd be thankfull for any advice.

Daspanka

Just take your time and carefully cut the collar off your top. Another option is to unscrew the ring that keeps the collar on. It isscrewed into the top itself and is a reverse thread, but my guess is that it is pretty seated by now. Would save from sawing though! :D

Thanks Pablon2

Thank you. I had no idea that the nut could be removed without cutting. DO you know what's commonly done at the lower IC tube mount to accomodate the silcone couplers?

Thanks again!

Daspanka

Daspanka said:
Thank you. I had no idea that the nut could be removed without cutting. DO you know what's commonly done at the lower IC tube mount to accomodate the silcone couplers?

Thanks again!

Daspanka

No I don't know for sure. Perhaps one of the guys running a FMIC could chime in?

if you dont have a spanner wrench you can wrap the end with a leather belt and use a big pipe wrench on it turn it clockwise. it is real stiff i have to use a 1 inch breaker bar on my removal socket i made for the job maybe 100 lbs torque because of sealer thats on it

For The Lower Tube ( Return Plenum) I Cut The Flange Off Of The Plenum And Ground The Outside Edge Smooth. If You Have It Off Of The Car, Now Is A Good Time To Port And Polish The Inside Too...

Thanks mannysc

I had been lamenting over buying a spanner wrench just for this job. I have a pipe wrench that will do the job, hadn't thought about using leather to keep from marring the nut.

Thanks!

Daspanka

acb92sc - Cutting the plenum

Thanks acb92sc

Will a 2.5" coupler fit OK over the end of the plenum after I cut it, or will I need to go with a 3"? I actually was thinking of cutting the lower intercooler tube a few inches out just so I could go back stock by simply replacing the lower tube. Your method sounds better as I won't have to worry about leaking boost around the flange anymore.

Do it like this:

06-06-06_1813.jpg

06-13-06_1152.jpg

06-06-06_1812.jpg

Very nice pipes xThunderbirdSCx

Thank you for the pix.
That's almost exactly what I pictured doing for the lower IC tube, except I thought about just grinding down a few inches of the ribbing and using a silicone coupler to join to the old pipe. Just to simplify removing the lower tube to do plugs from the top, etc. That's some damned nice welding. Did you do it? Or farm it out to a exhaust shop? If so, what was the cost? What's the size of the FMIC you went with?

Daspanka

Back