boost

cko1986

what is the max boost stock internals will take? and what are the stock internals ( forged crank, rods and pistons?)

does anyone have a rough idea? going to do some mods and want to make sure the bottom end is going to hold.

Max boost depends entirely upon the volumetric efficiency of the engine. A general rule of thumb is that at about 22 lbs of boost the heads will lift. But again, that depends on the VE of the engine. So your question can't really be answered with a simple "X amount of boost."

Using a stock blower, anything more than more than 14-15 pounds of boost on a stock motor will actually make the car run slower on the top end.

David

just wanted to know how much boost the stock bottom end will hold with 8.5:1 compression. and if anyone knew if the more than the crank was forged! also not really worried about top end the car is for 1/4 mile,teh car has 410 gears and auto, also heads have work, just wanted to see if the stock bottom would hold 22+ psi or would it sling a rod out of the block! It is just a toy!!

David Neibert said:
Using a stock blower, anything more than more than 14-15 pounds of boost on a stock motor will actually make the car run slower on the top end.

David

Problem is the Intercooler not the blower. With good intercooled air 15 psi is fine.

Last edited:
I think what the guys are trying telling you is the stock internals will hold up to anything a stockish M90 can dish out, even with a FMIC so you have nothing to worry about there if the bottom end is in good shape and has been looked after.

Now if you went crazy with an AR blower and some NOS and can get past about 450 rwhp then you may being heading towards problems.

Frit

cko1986 said:
thank you for that but i still want to know what the internals are?

Ck,

I know of a guy who spray's a 100 shot with a 2.8" pulley on stock internals.

He's a nutcase with over 20 runs like it and no problems whatsoever.

thanks that is kind of what i wanted to know the engine was rebuilt by a ford tech about 4 yrs ago at ford then the car was drove very little then it sat for about 1 1/2, engine has about 3,000 miles since rebuild. wanted to know if it would handle 22psi with after market intercooler supra intercooler and custom 3" piping. think it will not real sure quess i will have to see and let everyone know. also doing gasket matching port and polishing on every piece and part. using head studs to be safe along with the 99 head gaskets already had the heads checked. then going to have it dynoed. going to take a little bit but will let everyone know how it turns out. thanks again.

cko1986 said:
thanks that is kind of what i wanted to know the engine was rebuilt by a ford tech about 4 yrs ago at ford then the car was drove very little then it sat for about 1 1/2, engine has about 3,000 miles since rebuild. wanted to know if it would handle 22psi with after market intercooler supra intercooler and custom 3" piping. think it will not real sure quess i will have to see and let everyone know. also doing gasket matching port and polishing on every piece and part. using head studs to be safe along with the 99 head gaskets already had the heads checked. then going to have it dynoed. going to take a little bit but will let everyone know how it turns out. thanks again.

22Psi? Not a chance on pump gas

Back