headers

are 94 mustang headers modded to fit the SC just as good as Kooks full length headers?
if so, is it really that big of a deal?
will the 94 headers be good enough for big power and overdrive pullies?

I have the shorty Mustang headers on mine. I cant offer an opinion on the long tubes. I can say that some guys here have ran over a claimed 400rwh with just ported stock manifolds so unless you are going to build something stronger than that. I think the shorty headers would do just fine. Someone with the long tubes might still jump in with their opinion. I think the kooks are just to pricey for headers

Ken

kenewagner said:
I have the shorty Mustang headers on mine. I cant offer an opinion on the long tubes. I can say that some guys here have ran over a claimed 400rwh with just ported stock manifolds so unless you are going to build something stronger than that. I think the shorty headers would do just fine. Someone with the long tubes might still jump in with their opinion. I think the kooks are just to pricey for headers

Ken
What year Mustang did the headers come off of?

kenewagner said:

Ken

The only reason they are pricey is because the distribution rights are soley owned by SCPI. I called Kooks and they can't sell me a set even though I live about 45 minutes away from them.

kenewagner said:

Ken

What was your reason for going with the mustang shorties? I plan on going with a set only for cosmetic reasons. They look good coated versus painted manifolds. Do they create a differant sound over the stock manifolds? I have read that there is no gain in HP?

Which has bigger collectors?

I read somewhere here where the mustang headers collectors are actually smaller then a ported manifold's collector. If I could find that I'd post it here.

rickbtbird said:
I read somewhere here where the mustang headers collectors are actually smaller then a ported manifold's collector. If I could find that I'd post it here.

Collectors are just a little over 2.5" and stock cast manifolds art something like 1 7/8" and can be ported out to 2" at most. Stock ported manifolds will flow well enough according to Dave Dalke to run 400 RWHP. I wanted 2 1/2" down tubes and the bigger collector and evidently I want to be running over 400 RWHP so I want to do the exaust only once

Ken

kenewagner said:
Collectors are just a little over 2.5" and stock cast manifolds art something like 1 7/8" and can be ported out to 2" at most. Stock ported manifolds will flow well enough according to Dave Dalke to run 400 RWHP. I wanted 2 1/2" down tubes and the bigger collector and evidently I want to be running over 400 RWHP so I want to do the exaust only once

Ken
Thanks for that information ken.. that will help me make future changes.

Dahoopd said:
Were they Mac or stock, you didnt state.

I beleive they were Mac. When I bought them I was told they were 94 95 headers so I cant say for sure. So you got me there. I do know they fit up nice after some changes.

Ken

Attachments

• My headers.jpg
    My headers.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
kenewagner said:
I beleive they were Mac. When I bought them I was told they were 94 95 headers so I cant say for sure. So you got me there. I do know they fit up nice after some changes.

Ken
My big question now, will they fit on the 95 SC I'm picking up Friday?

rickbtbird said:
My big question now, will they fit on the 95 SC I'm picking up Friday?

They will fit the block if they are reworked to clear the steering shaft. They will not fit your down tubes at all. You would be better off with a set of ported stock manifolds that would bolt up to your existing exhaust. When I did mine I fabricated a pair of 2 1/2" mandrel bent down tubes to hook on to them

Ken

I remember a couple vendors people selling these already modified for our cars. Look around and I'm sure you'll find one.

kenewagner said:

Ken

Ken,

Thanks for the info. I am not sure if the same mods need to be done for the down tubes but these are the headers I am using. They are 2000 mac headers. I have to get the car running first so manifolds it is for now. The headers you have look like the stock Thunderbird/Mustang headers. I assume since you had to change the downtubes, they are after market. The stockers would just bolt up. I havent seen a set of 94/95 mustang headers.

Thanks again, D

Attachments

• headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
kenewagner said:
They will fit the block if they are reworked to clear the steering shaft. They will not fit your down tubes at all. You would be better off with a set of ported stock manifolds that would bolt up to your existing exhaust. When I did mine I fabricated a pair of 2 1/2" mandrel bent down tubes to hook on to them

Ken
I guess that answers my questions.. I should go with the ported stock manifolds.

Last edited:
Back