Supercharger questions

140ciGT

Ok, so , i dont even own a thunderbird, i have a 4 banger stang, but i was looking into the posablitiy of running a s/c blower on it,

i know next to nothing about the car, so i do have a lot of questions, ........

1.) on the actual blower, where does the air inter it??? top , back, where?
2.) how long is it from the front of the pully to the rear of it?(including any acsessories that are conected to the back)
3.) how wide is it?(at the widest point)
4.) how thick is it?(top to bottom)
5.) how wide is the actual belt/pully(i need to know both)
6.) are there any oil lines running to it?
7.)what side it the pully located on, closser to the left or right?
8.) where is the t/b?

i think i may have more questions later but for now this is it........
sorry its so long, but i think i just might be able to make it work!

you might get a little info from this pic:
motor.jpg

I would suggest you go to a salvage yard with a pad, pen, digital cam, and measuring tape to get all you're looking for. It's kinda hard to do all the measurements you request. There are just too many variables IMHO. I wonder if you could throw a turbo on from Turbo Coupe? Good luck...sorry I couldn't be of more help.
-Jeff

1 entry is in the rear, outlet is on top.
2-5 Go to Eatons website all the dims are there+more info.
6 no
7? There is a double step up in drive ratio. One is from the crank to the jackshaft which is 1.725:1 The other is from the larger pulley on the jackshaft to the supercharger which is 1.574:1For a overall drive ratio of 2.715:1

Use the formula, drive ratio X 25.58 X 90 (blower displacment)/ CID (140 in your case) – 14.7
This will give you the boost you will have.

BUT I would recommend that you transplant an 87’ turbocoupe motor and everything else into your mustang. Or just the turbo and manifold. The turbocoupe uses 35pound/hr injectors which you could (need) use, you will have to have your computer recaled. Your going to need to do some more studying before you start this project.

Jeff

I own a turbo 2.3 SVO as wel as a 94 SC. Thee are excellent drawings of the M90 supercharger on the Eaton website.
http://automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/supercharger.html
and
http://automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/M90.html

1.) on the actual blower, where does the air inter it??? top , back, where?

Enters in the back, comes out the top. Reverse the rotation and the air would reverse too but not sure about efficiency.

2.) how long is it from the front of the pully to the rear of it?(including any acsessories that are conected to the back)
3.) how wide is it?(at the widest point)
4.) how thick is it?(top to bottom)
5.) how wide is the actual belt/pully(i need to know both)

Sorry, too late for me to measure and I didn't see it on the website. Anyone?

6.) are there any oil lines running to it?

No, special synthetic oil is self contained.

7.)what side it the pully located on, closser to the left or right?

On the passenger side on the SC but can be relocated to the other side by flipping the front cover. Some oiling issues may be invoved and require looking at if the blower is used in other locations.

8.) where is the t/b?

Before the blower and there is a blower bypass that is moderately important.

With the power that is available with the stock Ford turbo I don't know why you don't go that route. The SVO or TurboCoupe engine make from 155-205 hp stock and any of them can be made to turn out 250hp in an afternoon's work. 300-350hp is obtainable with these engines with modest expenditure. The more progressive torque of the turbo is easier on the drivetrain and supplys power where you need it, on top end.

Steve Best

Attachments

• m90.gif
    m90.gif
    20 KB · Views: 274
If you want to do anything right at all go with sbest on this one. I've owned 3 Turbo Coupes and they are the second best car ever built by Ford. The 88 5spd is an extremely strong car, drive one and see the smile come across your face when the turbo comes on in 3rd gear.

note: By all means, DO NOT add the turbo to your current engine! Go get the engine out of a TC, preferably an '88 and be sure to get the computer too. If you can, get the rearend also. That'll give you 3.55's.

For the best source of any other info try the Turbo Group at Yahoo. They are one of the (if not THE) most knowledgeable group of 2.3 gurus you'll ever find.
Can a 4-banger run? Joe Morgan recently dynoed 720 horses from a factory block.

Feel free to email if you need any help finding those guys, I'm on their mailing list.

'bird

87-88 TC's had 355 gears in the rear end if they had 5-speed tranny's, if the TC had an auto tranny the rear end has 373 gears, I have an 88 TC rear end from an Auto in my mustang, 373 geas baby! :)

Also both rears have t-lok already so thats an added bonus too.

Back