Alt replacing.

Lugen

Hi,
Going to be replacing the ALT soon. Any tips just the 2 bolts? I heard of hidden bolts.
Thanks
Lee
PS got a Reman. for $67.95 SH and CORE 3 year Warranty I have info

Last edited:
Just did mine, 2 bolts underneath the coil pack on the side. I found it easier to just remove the upper intercooler pipe, because you will drop at least one of the 2 bolts. Then get the bolt on the left of the coil pack, and pull it out of the way. Then the rest is pretty much, you see a bolt on the alt take it off.... The long bolt at the bottom of the alt will hit the intercooler, but mine came out far enough to still get the alt off.....Hope this helps..Good Luck Tom

There is also one bolt underneath the coil pack attached to the back of the alternator.
I think the bolts that hold the coil pack on are 10mm.

More than the 2 bolts?

Hi,
More than 2 bolts? I just found 2 Am I missing something :)
Thanks
Lee

More than the 2 bolts?

Hi,
More than 2 bolts? I just found 2 Am I missing something :)
Thanks
Lee

Yes. The alternator is held in place by 3 bolts.
The two that you mentioned and can easily get to on the front, and one located under the coil pack that is attached to the back of the alternator. You can't see it until you remove the coil pack.
(That's how it is set up on both my ,89 and ,90.)
By the way, I had about 3 bad ones in a row and it got to the point that I could replace it in 10 minutes.

You don't have to remove the upper IC tube, just remove the tensioner assembly ann it will slide out with little or no problem.

Jeff

Update

Hi,
I had to pivot my Inter cooler fan away and remove my Top Intercooler tube BUT I only had 2 bolts :)
Awaiting my $67.95 Alternator I checked and its the 110 AMP Mitsu as per the salesman.
I'll check back Monday
Lee

Looks like someone has replaced it B4 (only 2 bolts), don't forget to reseal the IC tubes.

I didn't know that I had to reseal them when I first got my car (The power steering pump bracket and everything was off the front), I just put it back together and didn't have any problems. I had to remove the upper tube when trying to find a oil leak (turned out to be the oil pressure switch body), and put it back together again and didn't have any problems. Then I found out that you are supposed to reseal them. I guess since I didn't know at the time everything was OK. That's Elmer Fudd Syndrome, you know when Elmer could walk off a cliff without falling because he hadn't heard of gravity? Then Buggs Bunny placed a book about gravity for him to find, and well the rest is cartoon history.

Jeff

Head Gaskets :)

Yep!
I did see the bolt hole that I assume the bracket connects to and the other hole on the alt. Seems sturdy enough without that 3rd bolt. I have a 3/4 TBird Tim Top form o few yrs ago and he gave me teflon tape. I'll scrap that off and put on some "Gold" Colored sealant on both ends.
Also funny that you mention it but I have been plagued by a Oil leak for yrs now and It is above the filter yet below the valve covers I'll have to look into it further now that the ALT is off. I may have a better view.
Lee

I've done it on my 95 SC. It is not worth removing the IC tube!

1 Remove the belt
2 Remove the 2 Alt bolts
3 Remove the COIL pack Bolts underneath , use a u-joint socket
4 Pry Alt up from the 2 Alt bolt bushings. use lug wrench if needed
5 Turn Alt counter-clockwise and back 30degrees and then lift up.

I is not easy but it can be done.

Good luck

95 SC

Well it's a piece of cake if you just remove the tensioner (the whole thing not just the pulley), it's just 1 18mm bolt. Of course an IC fan is going to have to come off.

Also watch out for the little bushing that the long bolt goes through sometimes it will make it hard to put a new one in there or make the bolt hit the IC B4 you can get it all the way out. You can move it in and out.

Lugen that leak might verywell be the sender, mine was cracked under the plastic shell they stick over the end of it. I had a hell of a time finding it. I thought it was the oil pump, because I could see oil dripping from one of the bolts that hold the oil pump on. I ended up taking everything off the drivers side, except the upper tube and top (boy the supercharger is loud) and had my girl start the engine so I could watch for the leak. I had to take the sender out and replace it 3 times thinking the leak was from the sender not being tight enough, then I put a 1/4"NPT plug in it and it stopped leaking. The pressure switch worked fine except for the leak.

Jeff

Oil Sensor Mod

Hi,
Will do I noticed the oil leak AFTER I Did the sensor mod. I may take the sensor OFF anf put some new teflon tape on it . Can't hurt.
Lee

Belt Part numbers

Hi,
I already have a new short belt for the SC but since I'm replacing the Serpentine belt what are the part numbers?
IE Goodyear,Dayco,Kelly springfield.. blah blah blah
Thanky
Lee

Back