Pics of my $10 intake..

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Threw this together with $10 worth of parts from the hardware store... Replaced my belts with new gates.. Did a little under-hood cleaning... Picked up about 2psi with new belts! I'm assuming my old ones were just shot! now i get 13/13.5psi with my 5% pulley...

Here is how it was when i bought it a year ago:

7.jpg

Now:

100_0386.jpg

100_0387.jpg

The intake consists of 2 3" rubber plumbing couplers, 3" schedule 4 PVC and some red paint..

I can't see the pics, but a water drain in an intake? Wow, that would be an interesting thing to see after an air filter. Yikes...

I am assuming you are talking about the tube that used to run to the intake? That is part of the PCV system

hey dude, you can go to the local autozone and in the RICE section they have the couplers, the 3inch couplers for like 5 bucks, look better than the home depot ones... lates.

Was thinking of doing the samething a year ago. How did you get that paint to stick on the PVC pipe?

roughed it up with some sandpaper and sprayed it a few times... Masked off where the couplers go to so they dont stick on it...

I'd worry more about fan wash from the Rad fan turning on then sucking up hot air. Make a divider to seperate that area from teh engine compartment. Take a look at the Magnum powers website for an idea....Made from plexiglass it may raise your total cost to $20 or so:O)

I thought about making one out of sheet metal.. I dont care what anyone says a K&N cone under the hood provides alot more power than the stock air filter and box hot or not...

$10 inlet

Cut the oblong hole left by the original airbox oversize enough to let the K&N filter pass thru, then add a PCV angle coupling and a little more 3" pipe. Then you can locate the filter thru the hole out of the hot engine compartment and still service it fom the top side. Should work fine and feed the engine cold air.
Gerry

Looks good to me! Home Depot is my favorite mod-shop. :D

Make that divider and then noone will bother you about your intake anymore, Jacob. ;)

I thought about making one out of sheet metal.. I dont care what anyone says a K&N cone under the hood provides alot more power than the stock air filter and box hot or not...

exactly.....

I'm sure you won't miss that extra 1hp at 6000 rpms, because your sucking in hot air.:rolleyes:

uhm, plumb the intake to somewhere where it will suck in COLD AIR!!!

For example, my girlfriend's 3.8 stang has the MAC CAI go into the fender. Another idea would be to delete that damn air silencer box (you've pulled that already, right? it sits right below where the stock airbox went), plumb the PVC pipe into the hole (widen the hole a little so it'll fit) and then put the K&N cone either in the fender well or just behind the grille to fetch the coldest air.

The single biggest power adder my SC has seen was deleting my AC condenser (blocks the flow to my IC) and doing the always on rad-fan mod. (I have auto-on-off headlights and tied the hi-speed fan into the headlights using a relay as a switch.)
This, combined with the deleted air silencer has probably yielded a good 5hp.

Now, for the $$$ you spent on that K&N cone (those things are expensive so far as filters go), you could have bought an 80mm MAF off a Lincoln Mk VIII. I paid $40 for one yesterday at pick your part. This should yield another HP or so and will still keep me smog legal. :)

-ghost

Whats the purpose of the vacuum line off of the intake. Does it have to be connected to the drivers valve cover. I delted mine and put a breather in and a straight intake pipe with no nipple?

That makes no sense. If there is a breather than there is crankcase relief. Whats the purpose of dumping foul oil fumes and pressure into the intake tube?

Some times I think Ford engineers smoke crack. Like the whole offset on the crank pulley, extra alt bracket.

That makes no sense. If there is a breather than there is crankcase relief. Whats the purpose of dumping foul oil fumes and pressure into the intake tube?

Some times I think Ford engineers smoke crack. Like the whole offset on the crank pulley, extra alt bracket.

Yeah...I think I am going to run it to the oil seperator on mine before I run it back to the inlet.

Chris

Back