sc fluid?

neverfastenough

HI all. Recently i was having rough idle probs and while chainging iac, tps ect. I thought it would be a decent time to check my supercharger fluid. I took out the plug and saw no fluid. I stuck a screwdriver in and the tip was wet so I knew it wasnt empty. Anyways I bought a 4oz botttle and it took the whole thing and still didnt reach enough to overflow. I figured i get another bottle later, gunked the engine down and took a ride. I came back and noticed the front on the engine was wet by the water pump and the hood insulation was soaked. I felt the back side of the sc pully and it was wet.It wasnt antifreeze or motor oil so I almost positive it has to be sc fluid. Now I cant guarentee it wasnt leaking before because the waterpump and engine were dirty. So I dont think anything I did caused it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a bearing or seal up there that can be replaced?

The snout seal is probably shot. Buy a rebuild kit from 'spinning wheels SC'

BP 2380 Turbin Oil

Once you fix the snout seal, you'll need new SC fluid. You can by BP Turbo Oil (BP 2380) for a LOT less than Ford or GM SC fluid.

BP2380.jpg

It WAY exceeds the criteria of the Ford or GM SC fluid.

You can buy BP 2380 from: www.oil-store.com (Click AVIATION/BP TURBIN OILS/BP Turbo Oil/BP Turbo Oil 2380-1, it's $10.39/qt.) OR you can check your local airport that services jets. You may be able to find a friendly mechanic who will sell you a qt.

Here's the mil spec for BP 2380:

BP Turbo Oil 2380 - 1 Qt

The most widely used fleet oil in the world

Description

BP Turbo Oil 2380 is a 5 cSt synthetic lubricant that is approved against US military specification MIL-PRF-23699F-STD, and UK specification DEF STAN 91-101/2 (replaced DERD 2499). This lubricant provides a balanced combination of thermal and oxidation stability, load carrying capacity, lower volatility and has the best low temperature flow characteristics of all 5 cSt turbine oils.

Applications & OEM

Approvals

BP Turbo Oil 2380 is recommended for the lubrication of most aircraft gas turbines and accessories. It is also recommended for the lubrication of aero-derived gas turbines in industrial power generation, offshore and marine applications. BPTO 2380 has been approved by a wide range of engine and accessory manufacturers for their applicable equipment, including: Rolls Royce Ltd, Allison, GE, Pratt & Whitney, Pratt & Whitney Canada, Honeywell, Hamilton Sundstrand, CFMI, IAE, MTU, Solar and Turbomeca, etc.

Features & Benefits

Viscosity: BP Turbo Oil 2380 has the best low temperature viscosity characteristics among all 5 cSt oils.

Cleanliness: Minimum formation of varnish and sludge deposits over long periods of use.

Seal Material Compatibility: Very benign to commonly used seal materials in gas turbines.

Load Carrying Capacity: BP Turbo Oil 2380 is among the best of its class and provides excellent protection to bearings, gears, and other highly loaded lubricated surfaces.

Bulk Stability: Its high degree of oxidation resistance permits a long period of operation without significant increase in viscosity and/or total acidity.

FAA Bulletin on Change to BP Turbine Oils

68COUGAR

Last edited:
neverfastenough said:
HI all. Recently i was having rough idle probs and while chainging iac, tps ect. I thought it would be a decent time to check my supercharger fluid. I took out the plug and saw no fluid. I stuck a screwdriver in and the tip was wet so I knew it wasnt empty. Anyways I bought a 4oz botttle and it took the whole thing and still didnt reach enough to overflow. I figured i get another bottle later, gunked the engine down and took a ride. I came back and noticed the front on the engine was wet by the water pump and the hood insulation was soaked. I felt the back side of the sc pully and it was wet.It wasnt antifreeze or motor oil so I almost positive it has to be sc fluid. Now I cant guarentee it wasnt leaking before because the waterpump and engine were dirty. So I dont think anything I did caused it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a bearing or seal up there that can be replaced?
It's going to smell like barf in your engine bay now. When that SC fluid burns it stinks like hell, at least mine did. I ended up tearing down my entire intake and fuel system (for other reasons) and cleaning it up and now it doesn't smell at all.
Snout Seal replacement is easy if you have a few commond hand tools and a cheap gear puller. I wrote some procedures once that work on my 90. It's really easy to do.

Smell like BARF

rickbtbird said:
It's going to smell like barf in your engine bay now. When that SC fluid burns it stinks like hell
"SC fluid burns"? Have You Burned SC fluid, OR did you put Trac-Loc fluid in your SC?

68COUGAR

68COUGAR said:
"SC fluid burns"? Have You Burned SC fluid, OR did you put Trac-Loc fluid in your SC?

68COUGAR
When mine leaked it got all over the intake. The intake, fuel, and cooling system since these gets hot during operation which cause the fluid to cook until it bakes on these components, it produced an odor smelling like human vomit. I use GM super charger fluid but I'm sure there was fluid left over from when it was new as the car only had 85k on it when I replaced the snout seal.

Back