Damnit damnit damnit. Headgasket.

Renob

How many of you have blown a headgasket? I'm not totaly sure, but i think i just blew one last night. The car started running really rough last night after racing some jerkwad on the freeway (and beating his ass, although i guess he got the last laugh) and i got some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe on acceleration. i haven't checked to see if there is any water in the oil, or anything else, it was late last night when i got home and i just wanted to go to bed.

So, my question is, assmuing that my problem is a head gasket, How much work is it to get to these bastards? i've changed a headgasket on a 1979 jeep with a streightt-6, but thats hardly the engine that comes in the supercoupe. anything special that needs to be done? any advice? hints? any ideas on what else it might be?

thanks.

Don't drive it!!!

Don't drive the car if the head gaskets are gone. Not sure if you know or not just want to be sure. Otherwise you will spin the bearings.

its been sitting in the driveway nursing its injuries untill this weekend when i'll finaly get to work on it.

Before you get too far into it, do yourself a favor and check the compression first.

It's not too difficult, I tore mine down in about 10 hours. just mark, take pictures, or what ever you need to keep the wiring and vacuum lines straight. Have the heads re-surfaced. Buy new head bolts.

Jeff

I was wondering about doing a compression test. i guess it gets easier to get to the spark plugs when you pull off the supercharger and all. I just wasn't sure if having all that stuff taken off would cause any kind of misreadings.

You don't need to remove the supercharger. It is easier to get to with the IC tubes removed. removing the SC won't make it any easier (it's not in the way).

You are supposed to hold the throttle wide open when you do a compression test anyway.

I had 1 cylinder with 220psi, water seals rings good

Jeff

Back