Rebuilt AOD(-90) OD Problem

Mikko

SCCoA Member
Hello! First of all,sorry my bad english. My -90 SC have a OD problem,tranny is just rebuilded AOD with TransGo PSK shiftkit,Alto RedEagle frictionplates with Colony steel rings,all bushings and sealing rings,Bryco Overhaul Kit and BorgWarner 1,5" Red OD band. Torque conventer is also strengthened and have a 2500 stall speed. ShiftKit is programmed for Step 1,max throttle shifts 4900RPM.Builder was a professional Automatic Tranny builder (over 15 years experience with auto trannys),he built my AOD 3 times before it works propertly,2 first times OD didn´t work at all. Now it work´s but I notice that it slips still too easy,if I try to accelerate with OD,I have to do it REALLY carefully that it dosn´t slip. If I put CruiseControl in 70mph,and slow down about 60mph with touching a brake and then press a Resume button,it will start a slip immediately. And if I put the shifter in od and start to accelerate,it will shift in4´th in 55mph but it feels that it dosn´t connect propertly. Now I have to do 4´th shift manually,first accelerate with 3 gear to 60mph and then lift accelerator all way up,let the engine slow down and then move shifter 3th to 4th,then it shift´s sharp,but I cant accelerate with 4th(only really really carefully). Original problem was burned OD band when this first repair was done and also OD drum was damaged,2"wide OD band didn´t fit this new drum,but 1.5"band should work with stock SC fine.I´m thinking to weld and mechanize the original drum that I was able to put 2"wide OD band in my AOD,anyone has try to do this? (welding the drum) Once again,sorry that bad english,but I hope that someone understand what I try to explain. Thank´s for all and I hopefully wait if some of you AOD expert´s can help me with this problem.

Parts of the electronic version of the AOD (47rsomething something something) can be retrofit into the stock AOD to gain the 2" OD band. Even then, WOT in 4th is never recommended.
AOD is 3 speed transmission with 4th speed Overdrive. It uses a 2 piece input shaft with a direct drive function in the torque converter. 3rd and 4th gears used the direct drive part of the input shaft.

DirtyD0g can give you good info on the AOD. See this thread:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51494&highlight=band
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63441&highlight=band

Thanks for pretty quick reply to my problem Mike(lot of numbers...)! :) My AOD can´t handle even 3/4 inch change in accelerator pedal in 4.th gear. If I drive with OD about 60mph and try to pass car in front of me,I have to change manually in 3:th and then accelerate,when I change back in 4:th I take my foot off the accelerator and let the engine revs go down,and then put the 4:th gear manually in.I think that it should work better even original parts,and whit these parts that are now in my AOD,it should work fine(I´m not using WOT in 4:th). About a OD servo,is every SC AOD whit that A servo? When my AOD was under reconstruction,also direct clutch was changed,can this effect this problem,I dont know the difference between SC AOD direct clutch and others AOD´s direct clutch,or is that same in all AOD:s? So anyway,I try to handle with this slippery OD,and when the winter comes I drop it down. My SC is in daily use(also winter),and i drive lot of freeway,so the OD is pretty important in my car. I think that I write directly to DirtyDog,He seems to know lot this tranny. I´m also thinkin to get a Lentech tranny,but first I want to get this tranny work propertly.

The first question I am going to ask is how did you adjust the cable? If the cable isn't right many many problems can occur. Overdrive ones as well in fact I know of several cases of transmission that have done the same thing because the gromet on the cable broke.
Alan

When I get my car back for the repair shop,TV cable was adjusted okay,maybe just a little bit loose,but kick-down still works fine. I adjust it anyway tighter,now it´s adjusted as tight as I can get it(plastic part is end of the way,next I have to pull the cable for that stopping nut and put something in between this nut and plastic part).Shifts are now sharper,but OD shift is still soft and slower that is should be,and OD cant handle any off acceleration,only very very very careful acceleration.What kind of oil you recommend to use whit RedEagle plates,now I´m using the MAG1 oil and LubeGard(one RED bottle)? I also have a TransStar Cooler,but it´s not connected yet(I will connect it friday),but the temperatures here in Finland is max 85 degree in Farenheit.I haven´t notice a much of difference betveen cold and warm oil,but I didn´t dare to try accelerate in 4:th,since I first notice that it slips,only try few times really carefully.And as I say before,couple of times when I was driving whit the cruisecontrol,I noticed that it starts to slip when I have to slow down first, and then when I pull the resume button to get back to cruising speed(to get about 10mph more speed),where the cc is adjusted. I hope that I didn´make a lot of mistakes in spelling,please let me know if my writing is illegible.:confused: Thank´s ! -Mikko-

As dirtydog will probably tell you, that cable needs to be set up per spec. The AOD's are very sensitive to adjustments and can burn out very quickly if not just right.

Frit

Is it possible to adjust TV cable too tight? I´ll understant that tighter is better(pressures are higher)?

Too tight, Too loose one is as bad as the other. The cable should be adjusted using a pressure gauge and a gauge block. You want 33-35psi idling warm in neutral. Make sure idle speed is correct as well.
I worked at aamco for 2 year doing cabs and they all came back because they all got adjusted by feel from the manager. I worked with another guy for 4 years and never saw a single one came back. He adjusted all by pressure not by feel.
Alan

Okay,I have to get a pressure gauge. I remember that this forum somewhere is a good instructions for that,I have to do some searching... My idle speed is about 700rpm,and it runs good and stable with that speed. Thank´s again,it seems that AOD isn´t as easy as GM trannys(350&400). I asked a few good known pro tranny builders here in Finland,did anyone use pressure gauge with AOD,and everybody says no. -Mikko-

If you get the more extreme versions of the Lentech valve body you can delete the TV cable completely. They run full pressure all the time. Though I believe all full pressure valve bodies are completely manual.

Back